Styrene spheres?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

red5angel

Styrene spheres?

Post by red5angel »

Is there anyone out there that makes styrene spheres? I can get tubes of various shapes, sheets, and various other details but I'm wondering if there is a manufacturer who makes different sizes of spheres or other 3D shapes?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

What size? I 'member running across some 1in styrene spheres a while back. I tend towards acrylic for larger sizes.
Abolish Alliteration
red5angel

Post by red5angel »

no specific size in mind. I have a hard time making nice well rounded spheres and it would be really cool to have them in styrene if I can find them.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Get them while ya can.
Abolish Alliteration
The Mad Klingon

Post by The Mad Klingon »

Plastruct also sells nice hemispheres.

http://www.plastruct.com/
Ridged for her pleasure.

<a href="http://www.fpkclub.com/"> www.fpkclub.com</a>
red5angel

Post by red5angel »

excellent guys! thanks for the help!
Loachnut

Post by Loachnut »

Ping Pong balls come to mind.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Ping pong balls aren't styrene, but they work ok. Glue and paint have a hard time sticking to them, but if you buff the surface with some Scotchbrite it works better.

Craft stores like Michales and Hobby Lobby sell clear acrylic spheres in different sizes, from 1 to 5 inches. They are intended as make it yourself Christmas decorations, but are excellent scratchbuilding fodder. (The base "kit" for Iron Modeler at Wonderfest this year was a pair of these clear acrylic spheres). The nice thing is, acrylic and styrene get along pretty well when it comes to plastic model cement. Another nice thing is, these spheres are very round, accurate to within a couple thousandths of an inch.

Also at the craft store you can find a huge assortment of beads. Many of them are styrene, and you can get spheres as well as a lot of other very useful shapes; cylinders, oblate spheroids, little football shapes, things that look like afterburner parts, splines, etc.

Gumball machines at the grocery store often sell little trinkets in a nice clear styrene dome.

Fishing floats are styrene. Sand the rib off around the circumference, or cut them up as you need. They also come in other shapes, like footballs, and in many differend sizes.

Finally, (and also at the craft store), doll eyes and google eyes. These are usually hemispheres, not as accurate in shape, and smaller. But they make great lens covers, hatches, tank ends, and bubble windows.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Right now, Arby's is selling those Buffalo Chicken shakers. They come in a paper cup with a clear styrene dome lid. The dome is probably 2.75 to three inches. It's what I would call "Capped." That is, at the top if the arch of the dome, instead of there being a nipple or a curve, there is a flat spot. Personaly, I like it better as it looks very sci-fi.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kun2112

Post by Kun2112 »

Mr. Badwrench wrote: Craft stores like Michales and Hobby Lobby sell clear acrylic spheres in different sizes, from 1 to 5 inches. They are intended as make it yourself Christmas decorations, but are excellent scratchbuilding fodder. (The base "kit" for Iron Modeler at Wonderfest this year was a pair of these clear acrylic spheres).
I can only find 2.5" or larger. If anyone sees 1"-1.5" please tell me the stock number.

I'll give you a cookie :D
The Destructo Beam is the most powerful destructive weapon ever wrought by man. It is capable of vaporizing the Earth into.........vapor.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Got to USPlastics, they've got what you need.
Abolish Alliteration
Kun2112

Post by Kun2112 »

I'm looking for hollow 2-parters or Hollow Hemispheres. Think TIE fighter cockpit, but that's not what it's for.
The Destructo Beam is the most powerful destructive weapon ever wrought by man. It is capable of vaporizing the Earth into.........vapor.
Neb

Post by Neb »

Kun2112 wrote:I'm looking for hollow 2-parters or Hollow Hemispheres. Think TIE fighter cockpit, but that's not what it's for.
Look here:

http://www.plasticdomes.org:80/imagegallery.htm

Hope that helps. :)
George Seletas
Contest Chief
Amazing Model Contest
www.wonderfest.com
gseletas@wonderfest.com