flat clear coat needed

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

darth_daniel

flat clear coat needed

Post by darth_daniel »

Hey all you extremely helpful people :D ,
I need a tough flat clear coat. I´ve got 3 bottles of Microscale Micro Flat, but it´s not really flat once applied to a surface, more of a semi-gloss. I´ve read though that it will protect models for 20 years, so I used it under and on top of the decals and for preparing the surfaces for washes.
I need the clear coat for my FM Ys and they shouldn´t show the tiniest bit of gloss, so Microscale isn´t really an option as top coat. Is there something similarily durable that´s really flat? And that won´t become sticky when the model is handeled from time to time?
How about adding Tamiya flat base to Micro Flat? And I´ve just read about "Testor's MM Acryl Flat Clear" in another thread here, how durable is this one?
Many thanks for any help with this! :)

P.S.: I´ve got easy access to Tamiya, Revell, Gunze and Modelmaster colors, so if there´s something useful amongst them, that would be great. :)
Franz Bolo

Post by Franz Bolo »

I used Testor's Dullcote and it works great.

FB
Scrutus

Post by Scrutus »

I second the vote for Testor's Dullcote.

-- Jeff (no, the *other* Jeff)
You read it -- you can't unread it!
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

Yep. Testors Dullcote lacquer works well for me. Just apply multiple coats to get the degree of flatness desired.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
mech

Post by mech »

Fourthed for the Testors. Besides the strong odor, it works really well.
I have used Krylon Krystal Clear as well, so far so good.

j
Gunnie

Post by Gunnie »

Well, I vote for Polly Scale Acrylic Flat.

I used to be a Testors-only Dullcote user, but got tired of the inconsistent results. Polly Scale Flat is durable and provides consistent finishes every time.
zysurge

Post by zysurge »

I use Future mixed with Mr. Flat Base. By adjusting the mix ratio you can control the flatness. I've had great results with it.

Eric
bhop

Post by bhop »

Testors works fine, but yellows over time although you'd really only notice on white/light surfaces (might not be much of an issue with the Y because of its weathering). Plus if you put it on too thick, it can ruin decals, although it's rare that it does.

Because of the yellowing, I've tried a few different things. One that I really like is Vallejo matte varnish. It is acrylic, but it seems to dry to a hard coating and doesn't yellow and is very matte. It thins with plain water and airbrushes or hand brushes on.

Another spray can that I like, and what gives me consistent matte finishes, the best IMO, is Gunze Mr. Top Coat Flat (not to be confused with Mr Super Clear). It's also acrylic based, so it won't harm decals. I used it on my own Y that's in the 'on the bench' section. The downside is it's expensive for the size of the can, but worth it for the superior flat coat that it gives.
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

Thanks everybody for your replies! That´s really helpful.
bhop wrote:Another spray can that I like, and what gives me consistent matte finishes, the best IMO, is Gunze Mr. Top Coat Flat (not to be confused with Mr Super Clear). It's also acrylic based, so it won't harm decals. I used it on my own Y that's in the 'on the bench' section. The downside is it's expensive for the size of the can, but worth it for the superior flat coat that it gives.
Does it only come in spray cans or can it also be airbrushed? And what works better from your experience, Mr. Top Coat Flat or Vallejo matte varnish? The Testors stuff sounds fine, but I´m not very happy about yellowing since the head of the Y is white. :?
bhop

Post by bhop »

darth_daniel wrote:Thanks everybody for your replies! That´s really helpful.
bhop wrote:Another spray can that I like, and what gives me consistent matte finishes, the best IMO, is Gunze Mr. Top Coat Flat (not to be confused with Mr Super Clear). It's also acrylic based, so it won't harm decals. I used it on my own Y that's in the 'on the bench' section. The downside is it's expensive for the size of the can, but worth it for the superior flat coat that it gives.
Does it only come in spray cans or can it also be airbrushed? And what works better from your experience, Mr. Top Coat Flat or Vallejo matte varnish? The Testors stuff sounds fine, but I´m not very happy about yellowing since the head of the Y is white. :?
I think the Top Coat only comes in a spray can. I could be wrong, but that's all i've seen. I think the Vallejo is almost as flat as the Top Coat, but the top coat is just easier since there's no airbrush cleanup.
Franz Bolo

Post by Franz Bolo »

bhop wrote:Testors works fine, but yellows over time
I've never seen this. Do you have any examples? I'm curious to see what it looks like.

FB
Last edited by Franz Bolo on Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morty Seinfeld

Post by Morty Seinfeld »

Testors Dullcote: don't use over acrylic paint or do?
"Cheap fabric, and dim lighting. That's how you move merchandise."
bhop

Post by bhop »

Franz Bolo wrote:
bhop wrote:Testors works fine, but yellows over time
I've never seen this. Do you have any examples? I'm curious to see what it looks like.

FB
I might have something at home I can show you, i'll have to look when i get off work.
Testors Dullcote: don't use over acrylic paint or do?
It should be fine as long as your acrylic is cured and your dullcote isn't too heavy.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I don't so much like the lacquer over acrylic. I've had Bad Things happen in the past.

Applying the PolyScale is not like the Testors.

Don't apply until you can see a liquid sheen. Apply until you see the gloss go away. Come back later and re-apply. A fine mist is all you want to airbrush. This might be the issue with the Microscale as well. I've tried it in the past and got the same semi-gloss effect. I need to re-try it now that I know the PolyScale works. And it really does work, it's the best acrylic matte finish I've tried.

If you saw my work at Wonderfest this year, it was flattened with Polyscale.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Kun2112

Post by Kun2112 »

TER-OR wrote:I don't so much like the lacquer over acrylic. I've had Bad Things happen in the past.

Applying the PolyScale is not like the Testors.

Don't apply until you can see a liquid sheen. Apply until you see the gloss go away. Come back later and re-apply. A fine mist is all you want to airbrush. This might be the issue with the Microscale as well. I've tried it in the past and got the same semi-gloss effect. I need to re-try it now that I know the PolyScale works. And it really does work, it's the best acrylic matte finish I've tried.

If you saw my work at Wonderfest this year, it was flattened with Polyscale.
Seconded on the Polly Scale. Great results, but you have to apply it sparingly or you will turn everything a milky white. Apply it like you would a candy color from a spray bomb if you do car models (very thin and sparse coats).
Listen to TER-OR, high preist of the Chrurch of Aves...
The Destructo Beam is the most powerful destructive weapon ever wrought by man. It is capable of vaporizing the Earth into.........vapor.
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will try misting my models with Micro Flat first.
Should this again produce a shiny finish, could someone tell me the differences between the following Vallejo products?

Vallejo Model Color: 192 Matte Varnish
Vallejo Model Air: 059 Matte Varnish
Vallejo Premium Varnish Spray Matte

What´s the difference between "Vallejo Model Color" and "Vallejo Model Air"? And is the third one just the same only in a spray can or something different again?
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

bhop wrote:
darth_daniel wrote:Thanks everybody for your replies! That´s really helpful.

I think the Top Coat only comes in a spray can. I could be wrong, but that's all i've seen. I think the Vallejo is almost as flat as the Top Coat, but the top coat is just easier since there's no airbrush cleanup.

Can you get Mr. Top Coat Flat or Vallejo matte varnish at Michael's or other craft stores ?
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

I decided to get the Vallejo varnish, I read it´s made for table top games, so I guess it´s made for models that get a lot of handling. Could somebody please tell me the differences between the various products I´ve linked to above?
Is "Vallejo Model Air" the same as "Vallejo Model Color", just thinned for airbrushing? Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help me! :)
Last edited by darth_daniel on Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
bhop

Post by bhop »

darth_daniel wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I think I will try misting my models with Micro Flat first.
Should this again produce a shiny finish, could someone tell me the differences between the following Vallejo products?

Vallejo Model Color: 192 Matte Varnish
Vallejo Model Air: 059 Matte Varnish
Vallejo Premium Varnish Spray Matte

What´s the difference between "Vallejo Model Color" and "Vallejo Model Air"? And is the third one just the same only in a spray can or something different again?
192 is for hand brushing and needs to be thinned (with water) for airbrushing
059 "Model Air" means it's pre-thinned for airbrushing, although for me, the regular '192' works better with the airbrush. The model air seems to gum up my brush, but I have heard other people use it with no problems, so it might just be me.
the other is just a spray can as far as I can tell

Some hobby shops might carry Vallejo paints, but i've always had to order mine online. Most table gaming sites seem to carry them. I haven't ordered any in a while, but I think I got some from warweb.com once.. coloradominiatures.com has them too.

Personally, I prefer the Mr. Top Coat myself, but then, i'm lazy and like the spray can with no clean up. I used it last night on the base to my Y-Wing and i'm always amazed how flat it gets.
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

I found a shop in Germany (next to my country - Austria) which carries all the Vallejo products, so I won´t have any import taxes to pay. I´ll try their spray can as well.

I guess I´ll also better use 192 Model Color, because both Model Color and Model Air contain 17ml, so by thinning, I´ll get more for the same price. :wink: Judging from your experience, what mix ratio clear coat/water do you use when spraying with the air brush?

Will Mr. Top Coat get sticky from handling?
bhop

Post by bhop »

darth_daniel wrote:udging from your experience, what mix ratio clear coat/water do you use when spraying with the air brush?
I mix it pretty thin, I don't know the exact ratio, but it's probably about the consistency of skim milk. When you spray it, test it out on something other than your model first, Vallejo sprays a little differently than Tamiya for example. You might have to adjust your spraying style.
Will Mr. Top Coat get sticky from handling?
Nope, and it's dry enough to handle in about 5 minutes.
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

Thanks, I´ll try Mr. Top Coat on my next model. I just ordered the Vallejo stuff. The worst thing to happen is a ruined model, right? :wink: :lol:
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

mech wrote:Fourthed for the Testors. Besides the strong odor, it works really well.
I have used Krylon Krystal Clear as well, so far so good.

j
I use Krylon too. One thing I do, though is I decant it down into airbrush bottles and thin with a bit of lacquer thinner. OTherwise, when shot straight out of the spraybomb, you sometimes get "dandruff" coming out of it.

On this topic, is there something one could by at the hardware store, or autobody store, in bulk, that is a flat like Krylon but not in a spraybomb and WON't %^^$# yellow?

You guys know me, I like to experiment. I'll find the solvent that works for it. :D

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.