Can vinegar be used for a decal set?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

MillenniumFalsehood

Can vinegar be used for a decal set?

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I've heard that decal setting solution is really thinned vinegar, and they usually smell of such, so can I just thin some vinegar in water, alcohol, etc, and use it as a decal set? Or would it do something I don't want it to do? The goal here is to get a decent decal set out of a household material so I don't have to travel 200 miles to get it.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Acetic acid, also known as Glacial Acid ('cause it's slushy at room temp) is the active ingredient in setting solution (and vinegar). I've hear it'll work in a pinch but the additional ingrediants might casue an issue.
Abolish Alliteration
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

I tried vinegar for one build in various strengths. It works okay but not as well as the decal set solution. All I can figure is there are some other ingredients in the decal set which, of course, they won't tell you on the bottle.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

There are additional ingredients like surfactants (detergents) which help reduce the surface tension. for many decals, though, diluted WHITE VINEGAR might do fine. Natural vinegars have sugars and other components which may cause troubles.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

TER-OR wrote:There are additional ingredients like surfactants (detergents) which help reduce the surface tension. for many decals, though, diluted WHITE VINEGAR might do fine. Natural vinegars have sugars and other components which may cause troubles.
So maybe you could use a nice balsamic and do your weathering wash at the same time!

Kev
MillenniumFalsehood

Okay then. I'll take some decals and try white vinegar on them(diluted 50/50 with water) and just see how it works. If it doesn't do as good a job, I'll try adding a detergent(will ordinary soap be enough of a detergent?).

EDIT: The vinegar I'm working with is distilled white vinegar diluted to %5 acidity with water.

TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I'd skip the detergent. Most decals don't need it.
I don't really know how dilute the setting solution is, but I think 50% dilution of standard vinegar may be too strong.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

I just used Microscale´s Micro Set for the yellow decals on my FM Ys, and the stuff really smells like vinegar. I first applied the fluid under the decal, which prevented it from setting and ruined the decal. Then I used it only on top, which worked quite well but I had to remove it shortly after application because it creates wrinkles in the decals. Those wrinkles can be pressed down and removed with toilet paper, because the decal is very soft then. Today, one day after I had applied the decals, I applied Micro Set again and removed the last wrinkles. It definately wouldn´t have worked that well without Micro Set. :)
mightymax

Post by mightymax »

20 years ago I was in a hobby shop telling the guy about an old revell fighter I was having trouble getting the original decals to settle. I told him I had already tried Micro Scale system, Solveset etc. An old guy who hung out at the store chimed in to use White Vinegar. I tried it and it worked. So if you want to use Vinegar use White Vinegar.

Max Bryant
MillenniumFalsehood

Well the white vinagar I used(the %5 stuff) didn't touch the test decal. I've got some Solvaset, but I've got a problem with it that I explained more clearly in the other post.

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

darth_daniel wrote:I just used Microscale´s Micro Set for the yellow decals on my FM Ys, and the stuff really smells like vinegar. I first applied the fluid under the decal, which prevented it from setting and ruined the decal. Then I used it only on top, which worked quite well but I had to remove it shortly after application because it creates wrinkles in the decals. Those wrinkles can be pressed down and removed with toilet paper, because the decal is very soft then. Today, one day after I had applied the decals, I applied Micro Set again and removed the last wrinkles. It definately wouldn´t have worked that well without Micro Set. :)
Ah, but there's the rub. MicroSet goes under (very thinly, I usually wipe the excess off with a finger, just enough to dampen), then decal then a brushing of MicroSol. Ter's got a great whitepaper on decalling.
Abolish Alliteration