Tamiyas Flat Base

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Butters

Tamiyas Flat Base

Post by Butters »

What, exactly, is Tamiya Flat Base X-21? Is it a 'flat' that can be added to gloss paints? A flat clear coat of some kind?
There is a solution to every problem. Sometimes it's just C4.

Fine. I got an Avatar. Happy?
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

It is an additive to glossy paints to make them flatter.

HTH.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

What ZB said. You can turn Glossy paint into matte or satin finishes.

Except the transparents. Best I've ever gotten was satin finish and that was with a butt-load of Mattbase added in.
Abolish Alliteration
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

I picked some up awhile back, mainly to flatten Future-is it supposed to be so thick? My bottle had a consistency like half set pudding...
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

It doesn't take a lot to flatten something.
Abolish Alliteration
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Dr. Yo wrote:I picked some up awhile back, mainly to flatten Future-is it supposed to be so thick? My bottle had a consistency like half set pudding...
Yep - it's just a really fine powder with enough carrier to make it mix easily with the other paints. Many a person (guilty!) has made the mistake of using it like it was a flat coat - only to find out it really isn't!

Kev
Chief 400

Post by Chief 400 »

Mix it about 3-1 with Future for a dullcoat
I Stay away from Discussions of Religion, Politics, and Star Wars...all for the same reason......
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

I've always had poor results using the Tamiya flat base and Future. If you use too much (easy to do...) it'll turn milky white wherever it pools - corners, etc.

I've had great results with the Testor's MM Acryl Flat Clear. It's a lot more forgiving than Tamiya, and it produces a dead flat finish. It mixes well with future.
Kun2112

Post by Kun2112 »

Kekker wrote:
Dr. Yo wrote:I picked some up awhile back, mainly to flatten Future-is it supposed to be so thick? My bottle had a consistency like half set pudding...
Yep - it's just a really fine powder with enough carrier to make it mix easily with the other paints. Many a person (guilty!) has made the mistake of using it like it was a flat coat - only to find out it really isn't!

Kev
Raises hand :oops:
The Destructo Beam is the most powerful destructive weapon ever wrought by man. It is capable of vaporizing the Earth into.........vapor.
Chief 400

Post by Chief 400 »

What? Its not supposed to be a frosted Starship?
I Stay away from Discussions of Religion, Politics, and Star Wars...all for the same reason......