Dremel Speed to Avoid Melting?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

One AM

Dremel Speed to Avoid Melting?

Post by One AM »

I have never attempted to drill windows with a Dremel tool, but I have heard of the plastic melting problem. The Dremel I use has a minimum speed of 5,000 RPM, is that slow enough to avoid the melting? I have searched through the forum and haven't found the answer. I'd be using a 1/32" bit.

EDIT: I would try it myself on a piece of sprue, but I don't have the bit chuck yet, and would rather avoid spending $12 on something I don't have to.
Scott Hasty

Post by Scott Hasty »

At 1/32", I'd drill with a pin vise.

Scottie
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Corded Dremels are too fast, even at the lowest speed setting. If you've got a battery-powered one, at the "low" setting you might pull it off. If not, do as Hasty said: go with a [hand-operated] pin vise OR get a electric screwdriver with a chuck (that's what I do).
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I'd stick with a spiral action pin vise.
" I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail
fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." --John Paul Jones
Joseph Osborn

Speed-Controlled Dremels

Post by Joseph Osborn »

As mentioned above, the regular corded Dremels spin way too fast for plastic. The little battery-powered MiniMite Dremel on "Low" speed works great for plastic, but is very limited in the other jobs it can do. My battery always seemed to die before I was finished with the task, too. My favorite is the trusty single-speed Dremel coupled with a separate, variable-speed control. I can dial it down slow enough to cut plastic without melting, and let it scream at full speed for wood and metal. Dremel used to sell a foot-pedal controller, but I think it has been discontinued. The speed control I use is a tabletop type from Harbor Freight. But understand that the variable-speed Dremels do not work with speed controls-- you need the basic one-speed or two-speed models.

All that being said, you'll snap a 1/32" drill bit in a heartbeat with just about any Dremel tool unless you use a drill press fixture. Go with a pin vise and prepare to get sore fingers :?
NNYGamer

Post by NNYGamer »

That small I'd use a pin vice, I do have a variable speed "dremel" but I also used an old sewing machine foot pedal as a speed controller. I just make sure I set the tool up on high, about 3/4 max and then use the pedal for control.
I have no signature.
UltraMagnus

Post by UltraMagnus »

if you have alot of windows to drill, have you thought about using a normal, electric hand drill?

i hate battery powered tools myself, but its the only think i know that will spin slow enough

personally i would just use a pince vice though, it would be too easy to miss with an electric tool
One AM

Post by One AM »

Okay, thanks very much. A pin vice it is.