Laquer smell BAD!

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

scifi58

Laquer smell BAD!

Post by scifi58 »

Okay just curious as to whether anyone else experiences this or knows why I do.

I bought my first bottle of laquer thinner in preparation for using Alclad II on a P-47D and to clean my a/b which I had forgot to clean one day and needed to get the arylic paint out of it. I just did the same with my paint cup when my daughter painted her car body. This was enamel and I used the laquer thinner to clean it. After both attempts I smell mold on my fingertips. I also smell mold in the bottle that I transfer the laquer thinner to after its empty and paint residue stains the bottom of the bottle. What is causing this peculiar oder? I can't believe anything as potent as laquer thinner could leave mold alive on anything it touched.

LG Johnson
"One, two, five..." "Three, sir." "Three lock box."
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

I don't know if this is what you're experiencing, but I've always thought that gray laquer primer had a "dirt" smell to it.

Not quite so much with other laquer primers or paints, though. I just figured it was my sniffer playing games with me.

Do noses have taste buds?

Dennis
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Just similar aromas, Larry.
Mildew produces ketones like acetone and larger molecules during metabolism.

You're association is a good one. I'm impressed.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati