styrene sheets

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

butch

styrene sheets

Post by butch »

hi everyone :D . this is my first post here. I don't know if this question has been asked before, but I'll give it a try. I bought last year a Kronos One model from Star Trek 6. anyway, I found on the site some beautiful pics of the studio model and would like to do the same with mine. so, the question is: can I use styrene sheets to make some accuracy and HOW can I work with it ? I never did that and I thought maybe a lot of you can help me on that one.

Thanks a lot
Butch
Bar

Post by Bar »

You can do nearly any amount of detailing with sheet styrene.
Here are some links to stuff i have done with styrene(In no particular order...):

[url=http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/129Partsbreakdownandhow-toguide.jpg]One

Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
I don't know if any of that lot will help you out, but almost all of the builds there were made ONLY of Styrene...
You can find a lot more by clicking on the WWW link in my sigline below. Give it a minute to load. There are 900 images in that folder...
Bar.
I must retire to my couch of perpetual indulgence...
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
vipermark7@googlemail.com
mech

Post by mech »

Alot of the Kronos 1 stuff was also done with photoetch. That's not to say it couldn't be done with styrene, it certainly could. Just some of it is awefully intricate.

Bar, someday I hope to master plastic the way you have. Great stuff that.

j
Bar

Post by Bar »

It's not so tough, or i wouldn't be able to do it...
:8)
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

It's all about proportion. That's my problem. I have no sense of it.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
butch

Post by butch »

Bar wrote:You can do nearly any amount of detailing with sheet styrene.
Here are some links to stuff i have done with styrene(In no particular order...):

[url=http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/129Partsbreakdownandhow-toguide.jpg]One

Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
I don't know if any of that lot will help you out, but almost all of the builds there were made ONLY of Styrene...
You can find a lot more by clicking on the WWW link in my sigline below. Give it a minute to load. There are 900 images in that folder...
Bar.
very nice work Bar ! I love it. I had no idea that people could make some beauties like those ones with styrene. I suppose you need a lot of practice to achieve it ! :)

Butch
Bar

Post by Bar »

You'd be surprised how little practise i get...
Actually, the very first time i ever used styrene was to make new baffles for my Ertl BoP when that was very first released(I can't remember, was it about 1994 it was released?). I read in a UK modelling magazine about a great product that could be used called plasticard. The article showed how to make the baffles from 30 thou. That was the first time i used the stuff. Over the years it has become the medium of choice for me. You can make damn near anything out of styrene...
Bar.