Stripping primer off of plastic

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

redfinger

Stripping primer off of plastic

Post by redfinger »

I made a bad mistake the other day...

I used a new type of primer on a plastic robotech model the other day, the local shop I buy my paints from was out of the stuff I normally get...he primer went on horribly!!! very grainy and rough!!!

I have heard/read about using pin-sol, simple green, and oven cleaner to get acrylic paints off, and even used some of thos techniques in the past, but this primer is out of a can, so it is not actrylic based...

Am I screwed or has anyone had any luck w/ the above mentioned items...

and since the shop wont be carrying any of the brand I used to use, what is a good primer for plastic models?

Ashton
Last edited by redfinger on Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

Easy Off. The original. Not the lemon or the fume free.
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
redfinger

Post by redfinger »

the plastic bag method?

Put parts in plastic bag, add easy off, let soak for a few days?

or do you have another preffered way?

Ashton
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

I always use Castrol Super Clean and let things soak overnight. It may take a day or two, but it works GREAT. What kind of primer did you use ?
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
kallen-bortas

Post by kallen-bortas »

ditto on the Super Clean. I had a Bird of Prey wing that I messed up primering and soaked it in that and Wango Tango it worked.
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

If you can GET Super Clean... :cry:

Yuppers on the plastic bag method. Just let it sit overnight, and you should be good to go.
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
redfinger

Post by redfinger »

bert aka model maker wrote:I always use Castrol Super Clean and let things soak overnight. It may take a day or two, but it works GREAT. What kind of primer did you use ?

I used a off brand called "Armory white primer" made by "Dork Tower", ya I know, tha name probably should have been a good indicator as to quality.......I usally use the Games Workshop Citadel white primer, I find that sutff goes on very thin and smooth.

Anyone else have any other recomendations as to what is a good primer to use?

The model is a 1/72 scale, so I really want to preserve the details, I dont want anything to thick.

Ashton
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Bob, Super clean is now known as 'Purple Power'...same stuff, different name.

I've heard the Armory stuff is hit-or-miss. Sometimes it goes on great, other times not so much. I don't know what the variables are though--shaking time, heating it, etc.

Anyway, I've had pretty good luck with Simple green getting off most primers (it doesn't hit Mr. Surfacer much, however).

As far as good primers, I prefer the Mr. Surfacer stuff, but Tamiya's is also pretty good, and I've heard good things about Rustoleum (used it on rockets, but not on models yet).

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
redfinger

Post by redfinger »

the easy-ff owrked great!! other than the smell, and the fact that I had to use a tooth pick to clean out the panel lines, it worked wonderful!

thanks for the tip!!

btw I assume I just clean the part w/ sopa and water when done?

Ashton