Light Gels

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Neb

Light Gels

Post by Neb »

I'm about to start building Rel's 1/650 Sovereign class Starship. I've decided to use White LED's exclusively for the entire ship and use colored light gels for the warp nacelles. I used this filter material waaaaay back in high school when I did lighting for plays in drama club. I went to Roscolux's web site and found that you can get a "swatchbook" for the asking. Thought you guys might be interested:

http://www.rosco.com/us/filters/roscolux.asp

It's a different approach, but what the heck. :)
George Seletas
Contest Chief
Amazing Model Contest
www.wonderfest.com
gseletas@wonderfest.com
Floyd Walker

Post by Floyd Walker »

To add to what Neb said -
If you find out what color(s) you need, a 21"x24" sheet of the stuff only costs about $7US... and that's enough material for a lifetime or two of kits :D
You can find it in theater supply stores, btw.
Neb

Post by Neb »

Thanks Floyd---I hadn't shopped it yet, but I remember it used to be quite inexpensive. :)
George Seletas
Contest Chief
Amazing Model Contest
www.wonderfest.com
gseletas@wonderfest.com
Neb

Post by Neb »

George Seletas
Contest Chief
Amazing Model Contest
www.wonderfest.com
gseletas@wonderfest.com
Floyd Walker

Post by Floyd Walker »

Yeah, Neb- I remember seeing that site when I was searching for gels to make an IR-pass filter for a floodlight (don't ask :twisted: ).
I found a source locally, so the cost basically balanced out - cost here vs. their cost + S&H.
Gotta tell ya - that stuff is EASY to work with... thin, soft, and durable. And any color one could possibly need.
Neb

Post by Neb »

That's very encouraging---the choice of colors they have is amazing. They're the "Pantone" of light gels! :)
George Seletas
Contest Chief
Amazing Model Contest
www.wonderfest.com
gseletas@wonderfest.com
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

I used colored gels for the impulse engines and deflector dish on REL's Ent-E, with LEDs lighting up the interior of the hulls. For the warp engines, I wanted to use LEDs but wasn't happy with the light distribution I was getting, so I went with blue CCFLs from Vibelights, and random blinking red LEDs for the ramscoops. It looks dam nice. I'm in the "prepping for painting" stage now on mine.
Thomas E. Johnson
Neb

Post by Neb »

Was the light distribution uneven, or not bright enough Thomas? :)
George Seletas
Contest Chief
Amazing Model Contest
www.wonderfest.com
gseletas@wonderfest.com
Thomas E. Johnson

Neb wrote:Was the light distribution uneven, or not bright enough Thomas? :)
Not even enough, even with several layers of wax paper layered on top of 12 superbright blue LEDs. I found that for lighting large warp engines, CCFLs give the best result.
Thomas E. Johnson
Scott Hasty

Post by Scott Hasty »

Thomas E. Johnson wrote:
Not even enough, even with several layers of wax paper layered on top of 12 superbright blue LEDs. I found that for lighting large warp engines, CCFLs give the best result.
Try using Fiberfill (pillow stuffing). A one-pound bag usually goes for around $1.00 at any fabric/large retailer. It diffuses light quite nicely.

Scottie
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason
Thomas E. Johnson

Scott Hasty wrote:
Thomas E. Johnson wrote:
Try using Fiberfill (pillow stuffing). A one-pound bag usually goes for around $1.00 at any fabric/large retailer. It diffuses light quite nicely.

Scottie
To late now, she's all sealed up! :D
Thomas E. Johnson
Neb

Post by Neb »

Thomas---are you using batteries, or a wall wart? I'm trying to make up my mind..... :?
George Seletas
Contest Chief
Amazing Model Contest
www.wonderfest.com
gseletas@wonderfest.com
Thomas E. Johnson

Neb wrote:Thomas---are you using batteries, or a wall wart? I'm trying to make up my mind..... :?
I'm using a plug in transformer.
Thomas E. Johnson
Kun2112

Post by Kun2112 »

Scott Hasty wrote:
Thomas E. Johnson wrote:

Scottie
I was just re-reading this thread and went to the other room where I noticed a used dryer sheet laying on the floor (yep, I'm single). Well I tried it folded over a couple of times and I have to admit, it did a fair job on my mini-mag in candle mode and a 1100mCd LED I had on my bread board. :)
The Destructo Beam is the most powerful destructive weapon ever wrought by man. It is capable of vaporizing the Earth into.........vapor.
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

Kun2112 wrote:
Scott Hasty wrote:
Thomas E. Johnson wrote: Not even enough, even with several layers of wax paper layered on top of 12 superbright blue LEDs. I found that for lighting large warp engines, CCFLs give the best result.

Scottie
I was just re-reading this thread and went to the other room where I noticed a used dryer sheet laying on the floor (yep, I'm single). Well I tried it folded over a couple of times and I have to admit, it did a fair job on my mini-mag in candle mode and a 1100mCd LED I had on my bread board. :)
And it'll keep your model fresh as a morning breeze.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Besides, we all know somebody woulda said something eventually.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
Neb

Post by Neb »

:P
George Seletas
Contest Chief
Amazing Model Contest
www.wonderfest.com
gseletas@wonderfest.com
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

A useful source of filters is a local theatre. They go through the stuff all the time and even though the centers are faded the edges where they are clamped onto the lamp are not. I found a huge stack of them in the trash after strike during the last play at my college.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!