Clogged airbrush

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

joey_d1119

Clogged airbrush

Post by joey_d1119 »

The air comes through fine, but the paint doesn't come out at all. What do I do? I'm pretty sure the needle is not bent, I had it sitting in paint thinner for a day....still no paint.
"I am a gazelle, watch me plunge in ratings" - Captain Archer, Stardate: it never should have happened.
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

It would help if we knew what airbrush it was.

There are only two options. The paint pathway is blocked or there's an air leak that prevents the airflow from creating a suction to draw the paint in.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I dunno...I'd hate to come across like an armchair quarterback... :twisted:

Are you running from a bottle or cup? Sometimes the little vent hole for the bottle will get clogged and the airbrush won't be able to draw the paint up.

Or the nozzle has some build-up inside that's blocking things.

Frankly, knowing how airbrsuhes work, I'm stunned that I get mine to work at all. I abuse the nheck outta mine.
Abolish Alliteration
Kenny

Re: Clogged airbrush

Post by Kenny »

joey_d1119 wrote:The air comes through fine, but the paint doesn't come out at all. What do I do? I'm pretty sure the needle is not bent, I had it sitting in paint thinner for a day....still no paint.
Same, I have a couple of generic double action, I think the paint is drying inside the mixing chamber and I just can't seem to get it out.
That day, Vader was amazed to discover that when
fett was saying "As you wish", what he meant was, "I love you."
And even more amazing was the day he realized he truly loved him back.

Kenton
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Are you using acrylics?

Anyway, it's usually paint stuck in the tip/cone. That can be tough to get rid of, but you should be able to see it. You should probably dismantle the whole front end and examine all the bits.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
joey_d1119

Post by joey_d1119 »

Hey guys,
Its an Iwata Revolution BCR, bottom feed airbrush. I'll take it apart and see what I can do.

Im using only enamel paints. I sat my it in Easy Off all night....just the end of the brush....and still no paint comes out.

Im taking it to my LHS to see what they can do.
"I am a gazelle, watch me plunge in ratings" - Captain Archer, Stardate: it never should have happened.
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

And it worked fine before this? Or is this the first time you've used it?
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
joey_d1119

Post by joey_d1119 »

It worked fine before this, but I think I shot myself in the foot because I think the last time I used it I didn't clean it. My damn fault, I had it soaking in easy off for a full day, and a day before that in paint thinner. Still clogged.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Have ya tried shooting some lacquer thinner through it?
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

What about soaking the metal bits (only metal, nothing with any type of gasket!) in Castrol Super Clean? That should fix it without hurting the brass parts.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
joey_d1119

Post by joey_d1119 »

Figured it out...I feel stupid.....All I had to do was adjust the spring for the trigger....I didn't even think about that fact that the trigger had no tension....... :ptl:
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Done that mysel. Even more fun is re-assembling the airbrush and forgetting to tighten all the head componants. That can get messy.
Abolish Alliteration
talon

Post by talon »

that same exact problem happened to me last night, except for the not cleaning after use part. I haven't used my brush in about a week and I went to test some paint for color and the trigger draw was loose with no tension and the needle wouldn't draw back to release paint. I ended up disassembling it and cleaning some dried acrylic off the needle and after I put it back together it worked again. I have an Iwata Eclipse and so far it seems to take abuse pretty well. I just wish swapping the bottom feed bottles was less messy.