Primer Advice Needed Please

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Primer Advice Needed Please

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

:) :) :?
Last edited by BERT aka MODEL MAKER on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I highly recommend Mr. Surfacer primer. I use the rattle can version and love it. It goes on smooth with little or no sanding needed and goes easy on details. If sanding is needed get some 500 grit or higher wet/dry sandpaper(sand wet) and use light pressure. I find 3M brand to be the best. Hope that helps.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

If you're going the rattle-can route and can't get Mr. Surfacer, go with the Tamiya. It snuggles down very nicely. Use several light coats instead of a heavy one, and if you get a pebbly finish, you're spraying too far away. It shouldn't muck up your fine details if you keep the applications light.
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

thanks for the help,
Last edited by BERT aka MODEL MAKER on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BERT
MODEL MAKER
Migmaker

Post by Migmaker »

Mr surfacer is just rebottled and higheer priced Dupont Primer 131s, D.M. confirmed this in a discussion we had a while back
Best,
Will
If you can dream it, I can build it, and probably already have......:) William
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

isn't it funny how much more expensive stuff gets if it is sold in a hobby shop ? :?
BERT
MODEL MAKER
Peagis

Post by Peagis »

Ive found that there is several Mr. Surfacer Primers' ie. 500 and 1200 spray on an then the brush on. which works the best on a resin kit???
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side. And it holds the universe together.
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

If you sand a primered surface with fine wet and dry paper, use it wet and you'll get far better results. The paper won't clog so easily and edges can be feathered in invisibly. A little soap on the wet paper also makes things go more smoothly.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Peagis wrote:Ive found that there is several Mr. Surfacer Primers' ie. 500 and 1200 spray on an then the brush on. which works the best on a resin kit???
None of them. Mr. Resin Surfacer primer. It's basically a hotter version of 1000, to etch the resin slightly to get some tooth.

That said, of the Mr. Surfacers, I use 1200 as a primer, but I know 1000 is also thought highly of. I'd think that 500 as a general primer would be a bit thick, but if you've got a lot of pinholes, it'd probably be worth filling those with 500 before you give a full coat of primer.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
CaptainHawk1

Post by CaptainHawk1 »

Save your money and use Rustoleum or Krylon primer for plastic (about $4 a can for huge can).

Don't kill yourself over the sanding. You don't have to do that much of it.

That Tamiya primer is nice and lightwheight but worhtless for light colored models and if you are trying to cover up putty.

You get those little dinky that cost what, $6-$8 a piece and it takes too many of them to get the job done.

I find Tamiya incredibly overrated in many areas when it comes to their sprays.

-Sahwn :smoke:
Less Than Super Ostrich

Post by Less Than Super Ostrich »

i tested Rustoleum vs. Krylon... there was no contest. The Rustoleum worked well... not as well as Tamiya or Mr. Surfacer, but very well for the large scale model I was painting. The Krylon was horrible... dripped no matter how much I shook it. Tried warming it up... still horrible. Lesson: Stay away from Krylon.
On the sixth day, God created man... primarily out of Aves Apoxie Sculpt and other greeblies found around his hobby room.
PetarB

Post by PetarB »

It really depends on your model size and expectations. The Tamiya rattlecan primers really allow detail to stand out, and are fine for smaller models (ie 1/72). However, for modellers who stick to larger scales, the level of detail may not simply be there for Tamiya to be worth it, as it IS rather expensive. YMMV.