Tamiya Primer

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

suwalski

Tamiya Primer

Post by suwalski »

Hello,

I went to the hobby store recently and noticed that Tamiya Primer in the rattle can is unusually expensive. I asked the guy at the counter why, and he said it goes on very thin, smooth, and sticks very well to metal as well as plastic (he works with photoetch brass a lot).

I've been using just the Testor's Acryl primer in the past, but I've noticed it doesn't stick particularly great, and can chip while wetsanding.

So, what's so great about the Tamiya stuff? I'd rather not go with Mr. Surfacer through my airbrush, so the Tamiya option sounds good.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I haven't personally used the Tamiya primer, but what the guy said is true from what I hear...Kylwell uses it.

Why don't you want to push Mr. Surfacer through your airbrush? I do, and have no problems with it. They also make the Mr. Surfacer series in a can. I've used the 1200, and love it...

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

I too, have started using Tamiya products ( actually haven't opened them yet) but i bought the fine white primer and 2 colors of rattle can for my PL Seaview build. I went with tamiya because of the good things i have heard about it. I have always used Model Master/ Testors paints, enamel and acrylics so this will be my first time using Tamiya. As soon as i start i will keep you posted on it :D
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

Tamyia Primers are one of the best. Only Mr. Surfacer is better, because its solvent is a little stronger and it "bites" on the surface a bit more.
Thomas E. Johnson
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

how much sanding does it require ? I have the tamiya fine surface primer in white.
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

bert aka model maker wrote:how much sanding does it require ? I have the tamiya fine surface primer in white.
None. It goes on smooth.
Thomas E. Johnson
PetarB

Post by PetarB »

Tamiya primer (fine) is awesome stuff, I heartily recommend it. Best thing, apart from it's fine application (doesn't obscure surface detail) is that is come in white.
All hail white primer.
Amen.
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

It also snuggles down to the model surface really well as it dries. Very good for keeping fine detail visible.
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
suwalski

Post by suwalski »

Thanks for the good advice.

I don't want to put Mr. Surfacer through my airbrush because I heard it's a lacquer-thinned thing. I only put acrylics through my brush. Also, it's -30 outside and ventilation is a problem.

Thanks for the info about the Tamiya primer. I guess it going on in a way that doesn't have to be sanded is a good thing. In the past, I've also used Krylon primer; it's great and goes on thick, but loses surface detail. On the other hand, it covers up mistakes beautifully and also has the adjustable nozzle on the can.

Thanks for the advice. I'll go out and buy a can of Tamiya this afternoon.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Tamiya Fine White, to me, is like Mr Surfacer 2000. Very fine, nicely opaque, doesn't block up any details, goes onto anything.

What it won't do is fill surface imperfections like the Mr Surfacer 1000 or 1200.
Abolish Alliteration
davehal9000

Post by davehal9000 »

I really don't like the Tamiya fine. I've had absolutely no luck with it. The normal stuff though, I can't keep enough of it in the house. I really need to find an online source instead of making long drives to pick up a can of it. Most times they're out of stock and the trip is for nothing.

Good stuff though, sands down to a glass finish.

I've also begun using some stuff I bought at Home Depot. I forget the name, but it's also a sandable gray primer. I use it in making large scale military insignias (i.e. jump wings, etc) and I'm to a point where I'd almost use it on models if I were in a bind. Final product on the wings is the same as the Tamyia stuff.
Warned you we did, but listen you did not! Now screwed we all will be!

Yoda,
The Lost Hope

What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon????

"Just because you don't like something doesn't mean no one else should get to have it."

Penn Jillette