Scale problem

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

ENT2151
Location: down the shaft, out the door, to the left and just right of the 756937385964th glowing star

Scale problem

Post by ENT2151 »

Hello, I’m posting this to see if anyone has had a similar problem, or knows what the cause of the problem is. I had sculpted a cockpit seat for the AMT-ERTL Runabout Kit, which is 1/78 scale. Once this seat was complete it, I thought, why not see what it looks like in another model of mine, at 1/48 scale. Strangely enough, the seat is the same size for both scales. Basically the seat is both 1/78 and 1/48. How can this be? Has this happened to anyone before, or does anyone know what the cause of the problem is? Thanks
The first words from James T. Kirk as captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise “Attention all crew, this is the captain speaking, now to make one thing clear before we leave. If anything goes wrong, I get first dibs on the escape pods.â€￾
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

The 1/48 seat is too small or your 1/78 seat is too large. Or... The too seat designs JUST happen to be the same size at different scales. See?? No problem. :D
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
ENT2151
Location: down the shaft, out the door, to the left and just right of the 756937385964th glowing star

Post by ENT2151 »

it looks too small in 1/48, however after looking at it for a few seconds, it's in scale, as for the 1/78 it is the correct size. They are actually the same design at both scales, that is why i found it so strange, though after thinking about it more, i might have adapted the seat in the 1/48 so that it is smaller, due to the overall size of the ship.
The first words from James T. Kirk as captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise “Attention all crew, this is the captain speaking, now to make one thing clear before we leave. If anything goes wrong, I get first dibs on the escape pods.â€￾
Treadhead

Post by Treadhead »

It's very difficult to judge scale without a reference. If you are going to make a seat in 1/78th scale, grab a 1/72 scale figure and make the seat a bit smaller than that figure.

I don't know if there is a real appreciable difference between 1/72 and 1/78.

I'm going to be building a 1/48th scale interior for the ship I'm scratchbuilding -- so that's what I do. I have a few Monogram 1/48th scale figures lying around so I use them as a reference for seats, controls hatches, etc.
“Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?”

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
ignatz

Post by ignatz »

You could also measure out a real-world office chair and scale it down. At least you have some kind of numerical reference points for how large a chair ought to be in scale. If your model fits both 1/78 and 1/48, then either the chair is quite low to the floor in one case, and in the other situation, it may be quite tall for a sitter.
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

So what is the 1/48 scale model? Could be the scale is mis-represented, ie not 1/48?

Some good suggestions to trying scaled pilot figures in the seat.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
ENT2151

Post by ENT2151 »

TimeScape wrote:So what is the 1/48 scale model? Could be the scale is mis-represented, ie not 1/48?

Some good suggestions to trying scaled pilot figures in the seat.
the 1/48 model is a scratch model and parts are off by 1/46-1/52, so its not mis-represented, i scaled the design from the actual size so that it would be about 3 feet long, so the whole thing is 1/50. though after taking some pics of it (which i cant post because my hosting server is down), it does seem like the chair could be 1/60 or so, a little big for the runabout, and a little small for my 1/48 model, though it still looks correct in both.
dekesdragon

Post by dekesdragon »

Have you compared a know good model 1/72 seat (say hasagawa) from
say a F-14/15/16/18 against your scratchbuilt seat.
Sometimes as you have discovered not all 1/72 are the same.
sounds like a bummer after all of your work.
Me I built a runabout interior using f-18 fighter seats, couldn't go wrong.
BETTER GOVERNMENT THROUGH OPPRESSION
Do I get a fish biscuit?
Heenz Meenz Beenz
ENT2151

Post by ENT2151 »

dekesdragon wrote:Have you compared a know good model 1/72 seat (say hasagawa) from
say a F-14/15/16/18 against your scratchbuilt seat.
Sometimes as you have discovered not all 1/72 are the same.
sounds like a bummer after all of your work.
Me I built a runabout interior using f-18 fighter seats, couldn't go wrong.
well the seat looks different than those of the F-18, so those wouldnt work. my seat looks correct in some views and incorrect in others, almost like it changes shape when im not looking. at least it will work for both, so its taking care of 2 things with only 1, all i need to do is reproduce it about 14 times.