MM Metalizer paints

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

k-dog

MM Metalizer paints

Post by k-dog »

I want to use these to paint up a resin 1/72 B5 thunderbolt but have a few questions

1. Looking at the testors webpage and guide section it says to paint directly to unprimed plastic does that work the same with resin kits

2. Do i need to use the Metalizer sealer before i put on decals or can i use any top coat

3. what would you recommend for drying time in between coats of paint

any suggestions would help out as i really do not want to destroy my work

thx guys
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I use these paints pretty often. I know Testors says to paint directly onto the plastic, but I always prime first. With resin I think this is doubly important. Part of the reason is if you use any putty on your model at all, it will show under the metallizer. Primer will smooth out and hide any material transitions.

MM metallizers don't need any thinner, and they dry very fast. You can lay down multiple coats within minutes of each other. You can also begin buffing them within a couple hours, although they'll shine up better if you wait a day or so. I've never tried metallizer sealer, I usually use Future as a top coat. I've also used MM gloss lacquer over metallizer, and it works well too, but is awfully stinky.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
k-dog

Post by k-dog »

can i prime with black enamel to help darker the finish of should i use a dedicated primer
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Black enamel ought to work, as long as it leaves a nice, smooth finish.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

If you're using a black enamel, you might consider the Alclad metal lacquers, they are much more resilient than metalizer. You will need to seal the metalizer to protect it.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
k-dog

Post by k-dog »

i alrdy have a bunch of metalizers that i got in a lot and would like to use them what primer would be the best then someone had said mr. surfacer 1000 but i would have to order it online that swhy i thought useing a enamel i alrdy have maybe a gray one

thx for the help guys
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

I think Gloss Black enamel will be your best bet for priming. Here's a P-51 Mustang I built:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/ ... -51001.jpg

I sprayed plain old Testor's Gloss Black enamel, thinned with lots of lacquer thinner, then sprayed Floquil Bright Silver, also thinned with lacquer thinner. The result is very smooth and shiny. Should work just as well with Metalizer, though it might not buff out as nice as it would if sprayed on raw styrene plastic.
k-dog

Post by k-dog »

thx for the help
k-dog

Post by k-dog »

another question is it better use use a gravity feed or siphon cup when spaying these paints
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Don't rightly know. I use a Badger 150, which is a siphon feed. My guess is it doesn't matter much.
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

I've not had any problems spraying Metalizer with a gravity fed Badger single action, with a medium tip. Stuff sprays fine.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Either one will work...but I have seen the particles settle after a few minutes of spraying...just watch out for that.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
k-dog

Post by k-dog »

thx then i will probably use a siphon feed so i can keep the paint moving
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

You don't need to seal these paints but they take finger prints like crazy if you don't. Just my two cents.
k-dog

Post by k-dog »

hey guys have to thanlyou all for the help put down a flat black primer and then shot my first coat of metalizer and it worked great i wish all paints covered htis well and came ready out of the bottle

now im going to use parafilm of wet paper masks to darker alot of panels with a new color

thx again
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

One other thing to consider - I have had decals peel off unsealed metalizer-finished aircraft. I just remembered that after re-arranging my big display case and moving that Minicraft P-47N.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati