PNT decals and Micro Sol/Set

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

admiralcag

PNT decals and Micro Sol/Set

Post by admiralcag »

Hi, all

I got some very nice PNT decals from my Secret Santa and was wondering it I can use Micro Sol and Micro Set on them. I have done a forum search and found the consensus is to coat the decals with Micro Liquid Decal Film. Any pointers?

Thanks!

Vern
It's a great day for America, everybody!
mech

Post by mech »

I just completed two models with PNT decals for the Akira and Steamrunner. I didn't coat them with anything and I used Micro sol on them. No problems, no wrinkles, no tears at all. In fact, they are some of the sturdier decals I have used. ( I should add, I have the touch of a blacksmith :oops: )

j
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

Thanks for the insight.

Vern
ThomasModels

Re: PNT decals and Micro Sol/Set

Post by ThomasModels »

admiralcag wrote:Hi, all

I got some very nice PNT decals from my Secret Santa and was wondering it I can use Micro Sol and Micro Set on them. I have done a forum search and found the consensus is to coat the decals with Micro Liquid Decal Film. Any pointers?

Thanks!

Vern
Huh? What? There is no need to coat PNT decals with anything other than water. They are completely unlike any other 'aftermarket' decal out there, but not unlike commercial grade decals. The entire sheet is silkscreened with a commercial grade decal laquer so they are ready to use right when you get them.

http://www.pntmodels.com/decals.html

Micro Sol or Micro set can be used after application while the decal is still wet. I use Micro Sol on my projects and have great outcomes with that. Those setting agents are basically a weak solvent agent that helps soften the decal laquer carrier film to conform over irregular model surfaces.

Hope that helps!
admiralcag

Re: PNT decals and Micro Sol/Set

Post by admiralcag »

ThomasModels wrote: Huh? What? There is no need to coat PNT decals with anything other than water. They are completely unlike any other 'aftermarket' decal out there, but not unlike commercial grade decals. The entire sheet is silkscreened with a commercial grade decal laquer so they are ready to use right when you get them.

http://www.pntmodels.com/decals.html

Micro Sol or Micro set can be used after application while the decal is still wet. I use Micro Sol on my projects and have great outcomes with that. Those setting agents are basically a weak solvent agent that helps soften the decal laquer carrier film to conform over irregular model surfaces.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the feedback, sir. If I had only checked with the manufacturer's website, all of my questions would have been answered! I have been wanting to try some of your decals for a long time and now I have my chance.

Vern