Good bone paint?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

bob242

Good bone paint?

Post by bob242 »

Finally broke down and got a Crysknife, but it was already painted by a blind monkey (on break). I stripped it and plan to brush paint the sucker using good old fashioned wet washes and dry brushing. Problem is I don't have any colors close to ivory/bone and doesn't look like I'll get a chance to pick up any new paints until a bit after Xmas. Any ideas of what I can mix with my white and browns to come up with a good bone look?
Jagdson
Location: Hunched over my keyboard like a *pothoc* vulture, cursing my inability to properly budget my time.

Post by Jagdson »

Try the Citadel line of acylic paints. There's at least one bone-colored paint, possibly more.

If I recall correctly, well-worn bone stays pretty white, although I'm not exactly sure how well sandworm teeth would follow that trend. :wink:
Science created airplanes and skyscrapers, but it took faith to bring them together.

Trust me. I'm a priest.
modelbaseguy

Post by modelbaseguy »

bob, take your white and add a bit of burnt sienna like 20 to 1. If that is too light you can always add minute amounts of burnt sienna. If you don't have burnt sienna it is a medium reddish tan color.
William
"The" Model Base guy

Follow me on Facebook
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

bob,

Here is what I usually do for bones. I paint the "bones" a flat white generally acrylic over a good primer. I then let is cure for several days. After the cure time has past I start going at the "bone" with sucessive washes of burnt umber oils. The key to this was is that I use pure turpentine. This allows the oil wash to dry slowly. I then get an artist needable eraser and use that to "dab" at the highlight areas. the Wash will stain the white so it will never get back to pure white but with care you can get a quite nice effect and tonal variation.

Here is an example of this technique on a 250mm tall skeleton warrior I did:

http://groups.msn.com/WolfgangsModelMak ... PhotoID=62

This second set of images is of a work in progress and the "undead" are done the same way:

http://groups.msn.com/WolfgangsModelMak ... hotoID=735

http://groups.msn.com/WolfgangsModelMak ... hotoID=737
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
bob242

Post by bob242 »

Thanks Mark and Modelguy!

Based on materials on hand, I will go with Modelguy's suggestion at the moment. Mark, that sounds pretty good and I like the results. Chances are one of my nephews will see the knife and want one (sci-fi hippy kids these days with their Herbert :P ), so I may try that technique on any extras I do.

Thanks guys! :)