Gorilla glue

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

whopper

Gorilla glue

Post by whopper »

Anyone use this for models?

Supposedly it sticks anything.
"I get pretty impatient with people who are able-bodied but are somehow paralyzed for other reasons."-Christopher Reeve

Join the starshipmodeler.com fleet on Star Trek Online. My Avatar on STO is stehn@whoppermd
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Not for plastic. I've used in dio work.
Abolish Alliteration
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

I was just looking (yesterday actually) at two chunks of left over resin I stuck together with GG years ago.

I tried to pry them apart. Really tried. They aren't budging.

Dennis "why do I still have years old chunks of resin?" H. :?
Spacephrawg

Post by Spacephrawg »

I havnt tried it with styrene, ABS, or resin, but for other plastics it does not work. Perhaps the surfaces need to be roughed up first? It definitly works on other things tho.
When life gives you lemons, don't despair. no one gives me lemons
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

It's polyurethane glue. You will need to rough the surface a bit.

Also, it requires moisture to cure, and can be cleaned before it's cured with paint thinner.

I like it in woodworking - it gives plenty of work time, is waterproof, stainable and strong. It's not reversable, though, and does expand as it cures - so you need to securely clamp your parts together. A little bit goes a long way - and that expansion can help with an irregular surface.

Generally, for modeling, I use epoxy cement instead.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Go Flight

Post by Go Flight »

I use GG when I pin and glue large pieces of resin.

Typically I apply just a little bit on one side of the part and wet the opposite side. I also use it to secure the pin into the resin. As Ter-or says it will "foam" a little bit as it cures which can be cleaned away before drying. It also expands a little (which is why the foam comes out the sides) The foam that comes out has never ruined a model of mine.
So the name of the game is when you think it's not enuff - it's enuff!
Jestermon

no

Post by Jestermon »

No, I used it once with a small project and was trying it out, since at my job we use it to glue together steel and aluminum rods, but for small applications and on plastic it seems to not work.

It did nothing but harden and grow(expand) on the thing I used it for then I had to sand it off and redo the project.

It is definitely better for large things where swelling will not be a problem.