removing acrylic clear coat

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

compucrap

removing acrylic clear coat

Post by compucrap »

hey,
I bought some artist acrylic clear coat, and it fogged up some of my clear pieces. I've tried rubbing alcohol and brake fluid, with no avial, so how can I removed the clear coat without damaging the plastic? I've tested laquer thinner on the plastic, and it eats it, so thats out too. And no, this isn't future, although I'm starting to wish I had just used that instead.
Josh
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Did you take a Q tip and dip it in rubbing alchohol then rub the Q tip over the plastic? Or you could just soak the parts in rubbing alchol for a few hours then wipe the clear coat off.
Normal?? What is normal??
compucrap

Post by compucrap »

irishtrek wrote:Did you take a Q tip and dip it in rubbing alchohol then rub the Q tip over the plastic? Or you could just soak the parts in rubbing alchol for a few hours then wipe the clear coat off.
I actually used an old sock, with a good coating of rubbing alcohol. Im leary to soak it as I don't want to damage it anymore. I know future acrylic can be removed with amonia, which is the next chemical Im thinking of trying.

Josh
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Before you do that check out the paint removal thread under finishing. And the guys here a bit more time before you try something else that may not work or may mess up the plastic even more.
Normal?? What is normal??
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

compucrap wrote:
irishtrek wrote:Did you take a Q tip and dip it in rubbing alchohol then rub the Q tip over the plastic? Or you could just soak the parts in rubbing alchol for a few hours then wipe the clear coat off.
I actually used an old sock, with a good coating of rubbing alcohol. Im leary to soak it as I don't want to damage it anymore. I know future acrylic can be removed with amonia, which is the next chemical Im thinking of trying.

Josh
I'm wondering if, since the surface tension of alcohol is so low, it was mostly drawn up into the sock. I'd try Windex with Ammonia, or the alcohol again. But, whatever you do, I'd soak it.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Denatured alcohol removes most acrylics I've used, without damaging the plastic. Do not use Acetone or anything containing Acetone (nail polish remover) because it will haze the plastic.

Ammonia is pretty safe on plastics, but it doesn't remove all acrylics. You may want to try a soak in either ammonia, denatured alcohol or even rubbing alcohol. I think that's safer than trying to rub the clear coat off; clear styrene is pretty brittle and you can induce stress fractures in the plastic.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Depending on the paint, soaking in Windex with Ammonia or alcohol is fine. Those won't hurt styrene in the least. I've stripped canopies more times than I can remember.

What kind of paint is it - specifically?
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
compucrap

Post by compucrap »

TER-OR wrote: What kind of paint is it - specifically?
Krylon permenate clear coat I'm afraid. I broke down and bought a replacement part already, but as a warning to all...

don't use Krylon clear coat on clear peices!!!!

Thanks for everyones ideas though, I did try soaking it, but I think its chemically bonded to the plastic.

Josh
twofalls

Post by twofalls »

Did you try Easy Off? I messed up the finish on a Federation Models shuttle bay with Krylon Klearcoat and primer, and Polly S acrylic in between. I soaked the part in Easy Off for about 10-15 minutes then scrubbed with an old toothbrush. I had to repeat a few times (I probably should have used more Easy Off/soaked longer) but it did clean right down to the resin part with no damage (although my wife later complained that her toothbrush tasted funny!)
"If you're losing the game, change the rules!" Midshipman James T. Kirk