Almost "Great" almost one watt LED assembly

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

en'til Zog

Almost "Great" almost one watt LED assembly

Post by en'til Zog »

I just found a neat LED at Wal-Mart. Yeah, Wally world. It's a "Nite Ize" LED upgrade for Mag Lites. For anything from 2 to 6 batteries, C or D size. That's got a built in controlled output electronic circuit that can keep the (about) 1 watt LED at a constant brightness when fed any voltage between 9 and (about) 2 volts. Cost? Less than $9 US. That's comperable in cost to a bare 1 watt unit from ALL electronics but it comes with the built in stepper/control circuitry.

It's a true "PR" replacement - the exact size and shape of a standard PR type flanged flashlight bulb so it's a drop in for most applications. (The Mag Lite LED upgrade modules are NOT the same size as a PR bulb, they're bigger - but MUCH brighter.)

Uses? It makes for a GREAT 'engine' lite for a model - bright, not too warm (but give it some air space to leak internal heat build up into) and comfy with a wide range of voltages.

I'll let you know more as I tort... um... work with the 3 I bought.
Last edited by en'til Zog on Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

***sigh***

After doing some comparisons with known types of LED, I have to say that these are definitely SUB-1 watt LEDs. Yes, they focus in a Mag Lite, and Yes, the run on anything from 3 to 9 volts (2 to 6 C or D cells). NO, they are not as bright as I could wish.

Good news - in a 2 C cell flashlight, they're gonna run a LONG time - 75 hours on 2 C cells before dimming out, due to the power control circuitry in the base.

Bad news - not that bright.

But...

The only other true PR size LED I know of that runs on from 2 to 6 C or D cells does put out 3 full watts, but also costs over $40 US. Ouch.

Still, they are pretty bright, run on just about any reasonable voltage, and (at this power level) they run cool.

:?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Thanks, I'll have to look them up. Got a few of the big Maglights around even if it's not as bright as we might want.
Abolish Alliteration
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

I just pickled up Mag Lite's own 3 watt replacement LED unit for 3 cell lights - a "MagLED" that I plunked into my car maglight (3 C cells).

Works. Bright. Focusses. $19 US.

BUT - I put a Nite Ize 'universal' replacement LED unit in the 'emergency bulb' holder in the mag lights end cap.

Why? If I am in a situation where DURATION of light is more important than INTENSITY, I can swap 'em out and the 3 C cells will power the little Nite Ize LED for 35 hours rather than the 3 watt MagLED for only 5.

Best of both worlds? :D
NoMAD!

Post by NoMAD! »

Here is another lighting option. They are electronically powered LED drop-in bulbs. They are cheap and far brighter then the Nite-Ize drop-in. It is around 25 lumens of very white light for the latest version. The reviewer made the mistake of testing them with 2D alkaline batteries. He gave up testing after 60 hours of continuous light. The bulbs only use 120mA of power so they last a long time.

The tester reviewed version 1 of the bulb that had a distinct blue tint. The version 3 is very white.

The down side to the bulbs is that they can only use 3 volts. The upside to that is that you can string them in a series circuit to generate more light. For instance, use 2 bulbs for 6 volts. I’ve done it.

I can brightly light the insides of a saucer with one bulb. Two bulbs…wow! No more burnt out bulbs, consistent white light and a long run time.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/review ... d_bulb.htm
Winners never quit- quitters never win.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

COOL! Thanks, NoMAD!

They're sold out at the Lamda site, but still way cool.

Cost? Where to buy? Ah, the big questions. At least the Nite ize one's live at Wally World... I'd love to get one of these to 'play' with.... Or more....
NoMAD!

Post by NoMAD! »

You are welcome for the information.

I’m sorry to hear Lambda sold out of them. On the other hand, it is good that he sold them out. They were popular. He had the version 1, about 25 lumens, with the very blue tint.

You can find the version 1 at www.lighthound.com .

Version 2 that is a white tint and dimmer, about 20 lumens, but longer running is at http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/index.php .

I’ve got plenty of the version 3 bulbs. I had a special run made of them. They have a white tint and are brighter because they draw more power. They should only run about 60 continuous hours with 2D batteries. The limited edition, version 3, is around 25 lumens. A friend of mine and I have them made and they are sent from Japan. The version 3 cost 2 for $18 including the shipping.

Lol…you never know when you might need your model for a long running emergency flashlight.
Winners never quit- quitters never win.