Ruined decals. What did I do wrong?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Pandaphil

Ruined decals. What did I do wrong?

Post by Pandaphil »

Ugh, mad enough to spit nails.

I was really looking forward to getting a nice, azteked surface on my NX Enterprise, so I ordered the JDL decal set. Looked great! Figured I'd start with one of the large panelled areas in front of the bridge. I followed the instructions and cut the larger decal into small pieces 1 x 2 inch or thereabouts pieces. Unfortunately not being a master decal'er, after I slid them onto the model, I ended up with a slight mis-alignment and a few wrinkles. So I very carefully tried to slide the onion skin thin decals around to get them lined up properly. Naturally of course it'd practically welded itself to the model so getting it tweeked and laid down was a bit of a chore. Worse, I suddenly realized that the Q-tip and fingertips I'd been using to move them around were now inkstained. The stupid colors on the decals were washing off! I tried a few more sections with the same results.

I've used plenty of big company decals in the past, and plenty of custom jobs for model planes that were pretty thin, but never had anything this bad before. Did I do something wrong and are all 'custom' decals this delicate, or did I just get a bad set?

Hopefully I can get a refund so I can order a paint mask set. I just hate having to let a model sit and collect dust while I wait for them to arrive. :(

Even worse is I also have a Romulan BoP set on its way in the mail too. I just hope that JT Graphics makes a better quality product.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.
"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" -Sherlock Holmes
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I recently had a similar problem with Dave Tomita's Ent. D set, with some of the color rubbing off while trying to "adjust" the decal. I'm going to buy some clear fixative and spray another coat on them. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

By the way, never has any problems with JTGraphics sets. Very nice.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
Pandaphil

Post by Pandaphil »

Please do. I've already gone and ordered Aztec Dummy's template set, however there are still some letters, circles and other small markings that I'd like to try and salvage from this mess, so I'm gonna hit it with quite a few thick coats of fixative and hope for the best.

Probably do the same with the the BoP decals as well, plus probably scan them as well, just in case. (got a printer and a sheet of clear decal paper around here somewhere...)

So for now, I guess I'll go and work on my D-7's.
"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" -Sherlock Holmes
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

Bought the sealer and sprayed a coat on one section yesterday. Won't be able to try it out today, but I'll let ya know when I do.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I always brush a bit of Microscale's Liquid decal film on aftermarket decals.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

Well I did find the time to apply the decal today, and it did work. No smudging or the colors rubbing off. Just try to spray the whole sheet, before cutting or the edges may stick to the paper. Good luck.
Pandaphil

Post by Pandaphil »

Thanks for the update Ussarcadia. If all else fails I'll try that.

Actually, I got an e-mail from those nice folks at Starshipmodeler :wink: and an IM from Justin offering to send me a replacement set. Sounds like I just may have gotten a dud. I'll post an update after they arrive.

Also got the JTGraphics sets I ordered and did a test soak. Came right off without a hitch. SO I guess it wasn't me being a klutz. :)
LindaSmile
Site Admin

Post by LindaSmile »

Pandaphil wrote:Thanks for the update Ussarcadia. If all else fails I'll try that.

Actually, I got an e-mail from those nice folks at Starshipmodeler :wink: and an IM from Justin offering to send me a replacement set. Sounds like I just may have gotten a dud. I'll post an update after they arrive.

Also got the JTGraphics sets I ordered and did a test soak. Came right off without a hitch. SO I guess it wasn't me being a klutz. :)
JTGraphics are ALPS-printed decals. JDL decals are ink jet printed. I'm not an expert on the differences, but they need to be applied differently (or so I've read). I'm sure someone here can help you with the proper application.

Linda
Is this plastic thingy on the counter a model part or can I throw it away?