Pat Floyd's Refit light circuit

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

F91

Pat Floyd's Refit light circuit

Post by F91 »

Patron Saint of the Hopeless, Pat Floyd designed this board for the Refit-
http://groups.msn.com/AURORAMODELS/star ... otoID=1022

Works really good, source V is 7 volts.

Here's the parts list, but you need notepad to open it-

http://groups.msn.com/AURORAMODELS/star ... otoID=1023

Here's a picture of the inside of Pat's incredible wiring and electronics laden refit. Pat actually has 2 different boards in the saucer, the lower board is the one in the previous diagram-
http://groups.msn.com/AURORAMODELS/star ... otoID=1024
"Everything, Always."
trekjunkie

Post by trekjunkie »

Here's a couple of dumb questions:

Is this a complete circuit for the whole ship?
Or is it just for the strobes?
trekjunkie

Post by trekjunkie »

Here is another one.

I went over the parts list, and I found that I can easily get all of the parts in excess for a very reasonable price save for one, the Kemet 2.2uf tantalum capacitor. They are only about 22 cents apiece, but the minimum purchase is 1000! That's $220!!!

My question is, does anyone know if there is somewhere I can buy less than 1000? Or is there another capacitor I can use in it's place?

I realize that this is probably a really stupid question, but I have never really dealt with electronics before.
F91

Post by F91 »

There are no dumb questions here. The circuit is designed for all the flashers and the different rates. The interior lighting on requires leds driven off of the 7V supply with a resistor. You can run leads of of the red and black supply wires and take them to any part of the ship where you need static lighting. The resistor size for the interior lighting leds should be between 200-400 ohm resistor, depending on the current for those Leds. Hope this helps.
"Everything, Always."
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

I've been building a strobe+flasher controller for the refit (and, btw, the NX) for more than a year now. It is only 0.75x1.0 inches and uses exactly 4 parts. (One of them is a single chip computer.)
trekjunkie

Post by trekjunkie »

F91 wrote:There are no dumb questions here. The circuit is designed for all the flashers and the different rates. The interior lighting on requires leds driven off of the 7V supply with a resistor. You can run leads of of the red and black supply wires and take them to any part of the ship where you need static lighting. The resistor size for the interior lighting leds should be between 200-400 ohm resistor, depending on the current for those Leds. Hope this helps.
I believe that this helps greatly :D

If I understand correctly, this is a flasher circuit, but I can just connect any leds that I need to the same power leads for the board and attach the individual resistors to the extra leds. Right?
F91

Post by F91 »

That's correct. Any place on the board ta has supply voltage, or even the leads feeding the board are OK.
"Everything, Always."
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

I'm curious...

The interior is not light blocked. I always paint mine black to block the light and follow with silver or white to reflect the light.

And... I use fiber optics to carry light from a few very bright sources to many windows. Cuts down on circuitry and parts count.

Nice job but I'm just curious why it was done this way instead.

-JC.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
F91

Post by F91 »

I talked to Pat about this very thing. He paints the outer hull black, then a layer of silver and then the hull colors.It does make gluing stuff on the inside a lot easier...... I've never done it this way, but may try on my next one.
"Everything, Always."
raist3001

Post by raist3001 »

jwrjr wrote:I've been building a strobe+flasher controller for the refit (and, btw, the NX) for more than a year now. It is only 0.75x1.0 inches and uses exactly 4 parts. (One of them is a single chip computer.)
Can't say enough good things about JWRJR's circuits. Best of all, they are plug and play. Simply wire your LED's to the circuit and your good to go.

Not to mention the size of the circuit. Very small. Can be placed anywhere.
-TONY

"Second star to the right and straight on till morning."
- Captain James T. Kirk