wire wrap tool

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Darkov

wire wrap tool

Post by Darkov »

I'm looking for an inexpensive wire wrap tool. So far all the places I have checked that have them are expensive($30 or more). Anyone know of a place I can get them for much less?
guartho

Post by guartho »

Have you tried cutting a notch in a tube? I haven't gotten around to it, but I plan to sacrifice a pen or spare tyrene tubing or something before I start my next wiring project.
"It's not a toy! It's a model, built to scale."
-Chief Miles O'Brien
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Radio Shack has a Strip, wrap and unwrap tool for $7. Hard to beat at that price!
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

guartho wrote:Have you tried cutting a notch in a tube? I haven't gotten around to it, but I plan to sacrifice a pen or spare tyrene tubing or something before I start my next wiring project.
Wire wrapping is (unfortunately) one of those tools you just can't hack up and expect to get good results.... especially when you can get a tool to do it for you for $8
Darkov

Post by Darkov »

macfrank wrote:Radio Shack has a Strip, wrap and unwrap tool for $7. Hard to beat at that price!

Thanks a lot for the heads up. I stopped a Radio Shack on my way home yesterday and picked on up along with a few spools of 30 gauge wire. I so rarely buy things from RS that I didn't even think to check there.
Man what a difference using that tool makes....No more waiting for the soldering iron..no more messy solder. I was able to nearly finish a project I had started a week earlier in about an hour using that tool.

Thanks Again
Pete
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Wire wrap anchors nicely to square posts. It also slides off round wires real easy. I solder my WW joints once they're working right. Just in case. :D
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

Zog is right about WW sliding off round posts.

The real trick to a "good" WW connection is a tight wrap. If you unwrap one after and look real close at the corners of one, you can see tiny indents where the wire was pressed into the corners of the post. THATS what makes WW a reliable, gas-tight connection.

Zog is also right that soldering makes them even better, also permenant.

-John C.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine