Wanted! Random, fader circuit

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

dsl40083

Wanted! Random, fader circuit

Post by dsl40083 »

Hello all you electonics wizards outthere.

I have been looking at the fader circuit on these pages and thought that someone might help me.

What I need is a circuit that runs off a computer power surply, can fade 1+ LEDs in a random fasion.

To make it even more difficult, the diagram will have to be pretty much complete as my electronics knowledge is limited to fabricating PCBs after a plan.

Hope some of you will pick up the challenge and give me a hand with this little project.
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

That depends on exactly what you mean by 'in a random fashion'. I built a photon torpedo with a 'random' time delay in it. It is not really random, but few people would be willing to hang around long enough to catch the pattern repeating itself. Trivia - in computers there is no such thing as a truly random event. There is only 'pseudo-random' which is a pattern that takes a long time before it repeats itself.
dsl40083

Post by dsl40083 »

By random i mean in a way so that it will not look like running light or all the light fading at the same time.

But I have in the mean time found some small circuits that imitates the flickering of a candle light. Think I will try to use those.