Painting strategy for 1/72 Mk2 Viper

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

karim

Painting strategy for 1/72 Mk2 Viper

Post by karim »

I've been working hard to get a nice, shiny surface on my Mk2 Viper, and I'm ready to paint.

What's the best strategy for painting this bugger?

I'm particularly curious about handling the dark gray recessed greebly areas right next to the bright white hull. These areas are very small... I'm not exactly comfortable masking them.

If the Hull color was anything other than white, I'd do the recessed areas first, then freehand the hull... but with the white...

How have others handled this?
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

Not tried this on the Viper but when I've had similar issues, I've given the model a white undercoat and then used a thinned down dark mix (usually an acryllic) in the recesses and wiped up any overspill onto the white with alcohol. Repeat until the denity of the recessed area is correct.

Then fill the recessed area with a rubber solution masking compund. Repaoint you white and do your main detailing. Peel out the aet masking material and you should have pristine hull with dark greebly area.
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
karim

Post by karim »

Thought of that... though with the viper, the dark area is flat dark gray, not darkened white... its really two seperate solid colors.

I guess I'll try some liquid latex as a masking.
Bar

Post by Bar »

Is it going to be "as first built", or will it have a more realistic heavily weathered look?
If so, it will all look fine eventually.
Bar.
I must retire to my couch of perpetual indulgence...
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
vipermark7@googlemail.com
LindaSmile
Site Admin

Post by LindaSmile »

karim wrote:I guess I'll try some liquid latex as a masking.
Funny you should mention that. I just added some liquid masking stuff to our next supplies order.

Linda
Is this plastic thingy on the counter a model part or can I throw it away?
karim

Post by karim »

Bar wrote:Is it going to be "as first built", or will it have a more realistic heavily weathered look?
If so, it will all look fine eventually.
Bar.
Nope. This one is going to be pristine.
Bar

Post by Bar »

Low-tack tape around the exterior of the greeblie are will work fine, and a fine mist of a different colour will do the trick.
It's all subjective, though, and no technique will work on every model.
Let us know what you decide to do.
Bar.
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:Guard the boat, Mind the tide... Don't touch my dirt...
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I hand-painted with REaper paints. Of course, I do this all the time on miniatures so...
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

I could get liquid mask at WalMart in Canada, didn't bring any with me last time I was there, they can get real antsy about transporting chemicals accross the border. Can't get it here, something about kids sniffing it cause of the ammonia. What, kids never heard of Windex?
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Marco Scheloske

Post by Marco Scheloske »

I hand-painted mine in thoese areas too: First I sprayed bright white, then a gloss clear, then I painted the grey areas with acrylic colors - that way I could use simply some q-tip dipped in water to remove overpaint, and if all else fails a quick polishing with the tip of a toothpick does the trick.
Greetings from Germany -
"In glue we trust!" - http://technomaniaweb.jimdo.com

Marco
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I did learn how to use Parafilm while watching Tom Grossman at Wonderfest. That's better than liquid mask, which often pulls the paint beneath.

There's a liquid latex product you can get which is much less aggressive than the liquid mask.

Terry Miesle
Slide

Post by Slide »

i usually only use liquid-masks on canopy parts and/or to make sure there are no leakable areas on a masked section (the seamse between tape strips).

what liquid-masks pull paint? all of them? or just specicfic brabds? I've never put it directly on a painted surface (purposely) before...
"When you leave my academy you will be weapons! focused! and full of Purpose! Hot-rod rocket-jocks of prescision and strength, tear-@$$ing across the cosmos hunting for heaven!" -- Sgt. Maj. Frank Bougus [R. Lee Ermey, S:AAB]
jocuri cu nave
Bar

Post by Bar »

I use cheapo brand latex as a masking agent.
I have used it for years, and it has never taken away paint. Ever.
It goes on easy, and rubs off even easier.
All the paint effects on this one were done with it.
Bar.
Bar.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Karim

I was looking at my little viper and wondering the same thing...although I am going to weather mine.

I wonder if doing somthing similar to doing cockpits would work...stuff the area with a damp tissue, paint then remove.
"The" Bluesman formerly known as The Bluesman
nurturer

Post by nurturer »

I used Tamiya white primer right out of the can. It actually went on glossy, with no over spray.
P.W.Roice

Post by P.W.Roice »

I would use a wash of some sort. An acrylic wash over testors glosscoat is what I used here: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/ ... G_3767.jpg
This was the last time I used an acrylic wash. I have recently converted to mineral spirt and oil paint washes only. I apply them over an acrylic base coat, but I would imagine that if the thinner used for the wash is mild enough you could apply it over gloss laquer.
But getting back to your question, I think a wash would be a good idea for a smalish subject like a 1/72 scale viper. Keeps with the spirt of Battle Star models from years past too. :wink:
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

If you're weathering, don't paint it white to start, but tone the white with gray. Or use the light gray as a base, and overpaint with thin white where required.

Terry Miesle
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

I'm even wondering if the thing should be a light grey for scale effect.
"The" Bluesman formerly known as The Bluesman
Marco Scheloske

Post by Marco Scheloske »

bluesman wrote:I'm even wondering if the thing should be a light grey for scale effect.
But IMHO things become lighter when using scale effects, not darker - so a light grey should become white, but not white should become light grey.
Greetings from Germany -
"In glue we trust!" - http://technomaniaweb.jimdo.com

Marco