Soldering Aluminum Wire?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

RossW

Soldering Aluminum Wire?

Post by RossW »

I'm using some aluminum window screen material on a kit, but when you cut it the edges tend to fray when handled, since the individual wires are not really attached to one another.

Can you solder aluminum wire? I tried super glue but no luck.
karim

Post by karim »

Use Black CA.

Amazing stuff. I was using some brass rod to hold some parts for painting and without thinking glued two parts to opposite ends of a piece of brass rod...

Instead of removing one, I simply glued the rod cross-wise to another piece of brass rod using Black CA... It has not only held through the painting process, but even through sanding the parts (still attached to the brass) & re-painting.

It will definitely work for you. I guarrantee it. If it doesn't, I'll buy the tube from you :)
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

I think that soldering aluminum wire takes a special kind of solder. Otherwise, no.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

yep, has to be tig welded or welded with the alumoly (SP?) that seems to be soldered with a butane torch and these special rods. (Please tell me you have seen the infomartial they used to play at all the time on Sundays, the one where they fix a broken aluminum boat propaller).
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
Darth Humorous

Post by Darth Humorous »

If ya reeeealy want to get serious about soldering/welding aluminum (or any sheet metal work), this is *THE* site to go to

http://tinmantech.chainreactionweb.com/index.php

This guy searches out the best products he can find and tests them personally. He offers what he KNOWS is the best stuff to perform a given task. He carries special fluxes for soldering aluminum that work just as easily as if you were soldering brass or copper. The rest of the site is a real eye opener on products and techniques. Awesome site in general.

For those interested, he sells an oxy-acetylene torch called the Meco Midget for very reasonable money. I got one myself to weld thin metals. From my personal experience, this is perhaps the finest torch I have ever used! Burn throughs are virtually nonexistent when you get the hang of it, which is fairly quick and easy. It is logically and ergonomically designed, and very simple to use. The welds it produces are very nice, more so than other torches I've used. Even though it excels at sheet metal welding, I've joined heavier sections (eg., 3/8" rod) as well very nicely. It can take a little longer than with a larger torch, but it will do the job beautifully. If you get the torch, I recommend the lightweight hose and various sized nozzles he offers.

And no, I don't get any kickbacks from him. :lol:

Mark