Microscale Flat Coat

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

darth_daniel

Microscale Flat Coat

Post by darth_daniel »

Hi everyone,
could someone tell me to which percentage the microscale flat coat should be thinned (with water, right?) so it can be airbrushed? And should I mask clear parts or will they be improved like when using future? I need to seal a tyridium model. Thanks for any help! :)
BTW, same question about the gloss coat?
Owen E Oulton

Post by Owen E Oulton »

Don't use it myself, so I can't answer the question about thinning, but I can tell you that yes, you need to mask the clear parts. Any dull or matte coating will frost the clear parts. This is inherent in a matte coating - you're placing a layer of granules on the surface to break up and diffuse the light. This is what makes the surface dull.

Gloss coats on the other tentacle, lay down an ultra-smooth clear layer which transmits the light sharply and well as creating a reflective surface. One note: many gloss coats are lacquer based, which will etch and frost clear parts. Future is acrylic, which is why it's safe for clear parts.

The best bet is to always test on a piece of sprue or a spare part from the kit - a part from another kit may not give the same results as the plastic formulation may vary.
...Only the dead dreams of a cold war kid...
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I mask all clear bits before any painting. They're not unmasked until the dullcoat is applied at the end.

I have used Microscale's flat, but found it more of a satin finish. I've had better luck with PolyScale's flat finish. Very good stuff.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

Thanks for that info, but could anyone tell me the thinning ratio for airbrushing this stuff? :)
Sdf-1

Post by Sdf-1 »

Well I just tried the flat recently, unfortunately it really isn't flat. I wonder if I could add Tamiya flatbase in it. I can't say about the thinning ratio, I thin stuff by eye pretty much. I think I thinned it too much though. I am going to try thin it less and add pressure to see if I get it flatter. :?
didihno

Post by didihno »

Argh!
I've frosted my window on a starfury with damn acrylic matt varnish.
How do I fix it?
He tasks me! He tasks me and I shall have him!
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

didihno wrote:Argh!
I've frosted my window on a starfury with damn acrylic matt varnish.
How do I fix it?
Buy a new window... :oops: Or can that stuff be removed with alcohol or something?
Sdf-1, what did you use for thinning? On the bottle the text says thinning should be done with water or alcohol, will it work equally well or is alcohol better? And if, which alcohol should I use?
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

It isn't flat, its a semi-gloss finish. I used it before and didn't like it because of that.
Thomas E. Johnson
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

Even it it isn´t flat, the Tyridium has got large surfaces so I´ll "polish" the model with fine steel wool, that should remove all gloss.
Any info on mixing ratio/water/sort of alcohol?
Sdf-1

Post by Sdf-1 »

Well I used first Tamiya thinner and alcohol based window cleaning stuff. But it didn't mix good. Works fine with water.
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

I used to thin it 20% with alcohol, and spray at around 25-30 PSI. any higher and it would dry before hitting the surface and cause orange peel.

TBH, I have never really found an acyrilic flat that is a really flat, yet tough finish. MM Acyrl and Polyscale are pretty flat, but also scratch very easy.
Thomas E. Johnson
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

I use Micro-Scale Flat and Satin all the time; they have become my do-everything clear sealers. I spray straight from the bottle, no thinning needed. I use a gravity-fed Badger with a medium tip, at around 20 psi. Clean up with Windex. If you will excuse the non-sci fi subject, here's a Corsair I finished with Micro-Scale Flat; plenty flat enough for my taste:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/ ... ion013.jpg

Just make sure the paint is stirred well (it tends to really settle out if left to sit for a while), and spray two or three light coats.
Sdf-1

Post by Sdf-1 »

No thinning?!? But it's so thick! :shock:
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

Okay next question: what should I use to clean my airbrush after spraying the flat coat? Will water work or will I need alcohol or...?
Sdf-1

Post by Sdf-1 »

Alcoholic car window cleaner works very well for cleaning.
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

Cool thanks! :D But is there a cheaper variant? Although if I just use it after spraying microscale coats...nah it´ll work. Thanks! :D