Dremel Speed Control

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Darkov

Dremel Speed Control

Post by Darkov »

I was trying to use a #80 drill bit in my dremel to make holes for fiber optics in a Republic Star Destroyer. But the bit would quickly get hot an just melt to plastic even on the slowest speed. I started looking in to getting a Dremel speed controller and found that they are a bit expensive. I came up with a little home made speed control for about $8.00.
http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/42cec135z50 ... EBT476vOr8

It's just a regular wall plug and a dimmer switch. Now I just plug my dremel in and I can adjust the speed to almost a crawl. No more melted plastic.

Just a little tip.....hope it can help someone else out.

Pete
Treadhead

Re: Dremel Speed Control

Post by Treadhead »

Darkov wrote:I was trying to use a #80 drill bit in my dremel to make holes for fiber optics in a Republic Star Destroyer. But the bit would quickly get hot an just melt to plastic even on the slowest speed. I started looking in to getting a Dremel speed controller and found that they are a bit expensive. I came up with a little home made speed control for about $8.00.
http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/42cec135z50 ... EBT476vOr8

It's just a regular wall plug and a dimmer switch. Now I just plug my dremel in and I can adjust the speed to almost a crawl. No more melted plastic.

Just a little tip.....hope it can help someone else out.

Pete
That's always good info. I ended up buying a cordless Dremel tool that's only got two speeds. The lowest one is useable for drilling without melting the plastic.

I like your idea better tho. More cost effective and you don't have to recharge the tool every 3 horus :)
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

Just a word of caution: In a lot of cases, it's really bad for the roto/moto-tools to be run at those extra low speeds. It tends to burn up the brushes prematurely and can cause the motor to overheat if you're not careful. I I use a foot pedal with my Craftsman variable speed and, although I haven't had to replace the brushes yet, I have noticed that the motor gets pretty warm after using the tool for just a few minutes.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
Darkov

Post by Darkov »

I've been using it with a cheap dremel knock-off from harbor freight($9.99) I have yet to have any problems. I've never used it for any extended periods of time. Just a dozen or so holes at a time.
I have used it with my regular dremel as well an have had no ill effects. The only problem I have found is that the dremel tool needs to be set at it's fastest setting and then use the dimmer to slow it down to what I need for drilling.
Darth Humorous

Post by Darth Humorous »

I had a lengthy post about wiring a dimmer control as a device to plug into a receptacle, and then plug the dremel into that. I've used it at very crawling speeds and have had no trouble. Marco Schloeske (my sincerest apologies if i misspelled your name, Marco!) added a post beyond mine in confirmation of this being a very workable solution.

Unfortunately, I can no longer find those posts! :(

Mark
IamBatman

Post by IamBatman »

I also would suggest a sewing machine foot pedal. Better/variable control, and you can rev it up between holes to keep the motor cool.
If it flies, I can crash it.
GYSGT Hartman

Post by GYSGT Hartman »

IamBatman wrote:I also would suggest a sewing machine foot pedal. Better/variable control, and you can rev it up between holes to keep the motor cool.
I like this idea. :wink:
Darth Humorous

Post by Darth Humorous »

HAL 9000 wrote:
IamBatman wrote:I also would suggest a sewing machine foot pedal. Better/variable control, and you can rev it up between holes to keep the motor cool.
I like this idea. :wink:
But make sure ya get the old fashioned kind that uses a carbon pile. Many newer ones are more like potentiometers used to control a low voltage speed control circuit. However, that circuit itself does not reside in the foot pedal. You'd smoke such a pedal real fast when ya apply line power to it.

Mark
GYSGT Hartman

Post by GYSGT Hartman »

Darth Humorous wrote:
But make sure ya get the old fashioned kind that uses a carbon pile. Many newer ones are more like potentiometers used to control a low voltage speed control circuit. However, that circuit itself does not reside in the foot pedal. You'd smoke such a pedal real fast when ya apply line power to it.

Mark
Naturally this would only be good if you LIKE the smell of burned components. As a former electronics technician, I don't. ;)

Thanx for the heads up.
NNYGamer

Post by NNYGamer »

After I read this I relized I had a sewing machine speed controller in my garage sale. It hadn't sold so I cut off the plug and wired it to an outlet. Now I can go at a crawl if I have to. I used it alot today and it worked great! Now to fins an empty switchbox and mount it with an off/ on switch.
I have no signature.
IamBatman

Post by IamBatman »

I know what you mean about the 'new pedals'.. I was talking about the ones mom used. Had a plug that went from the wall, and the machine plugged into the pedal...

Old school...

eBay listing simple search
Good-Will is your friend, or eBay for just pedals. They are easy to recognize, they have a 120vdc; non polarized, plug female, and a male 120vdc cord for the wall..

Sorry I was not more specific.. They are just 120VAC variacs is all.. same I used in TV repair, without the big black knob, or graduated values.

as far as the on/off goes.. a light switch.. Ground is common, neg is the pedal, pos is they by-pass.. on=pedal off=bypass.. should work in theory.
p.s. since these images are NOT hosted by me, they may expire.
If it flies, I can crash it.