A few Questions

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Darkov

A few Questions

Post by Darkov »

Hey all.....I have a few questions that maybe some of you can help me with.

1) I want to purchase a large sheet of Styrene plastic for scratch building models. When I called a local plastics company I was told that there are different types of styrene. What type do I ask for? What type of plastic is used in just everyday off the shelf models?

2) I have also been photo etching my own parts using brass sheet but I was wondering if there is something I can use to etch aluminum. I know you can't use Ferric Chloride on it. I tried just to see what it would do....it smokes alot and smells REALLY bad. :shock: Is there a safe chemical etch that can be used on aluminum?

Lastly does anyone know of a place I can get a square punch & die set. I have both Waldron punch sets and the Historex Hex punch set. I would like a square set if one is made.

Thanks for any and all help that can be offered.

Pete :smoke:
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

The answer to your first question is polystyrene.
As for number 3, have you tried a craftmans store for wood or leather working?
Normal?? What is normal??
Loachnut

Post by Loachnut »

You could go with the HIS which is high impact styrene, or you could go with GP which is general purpose styrene.

The general purpose styrene should be more than sufficient for what you need. Unless of course you plan on slamming your finished model against the wall, then I would go with the high impact stuff. :P

Jody
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

Hey, Pete.

On the punch set, you might want to give Johnson's Workbench in Charlotte a call. They have a ton of woodworking tools and might have what you're looking for. Their phone number is (517) 543-1660. Their website is found here.

You might also want to try the Harbor Freight Tools store out on West Saginaw. Their phone number is (517) 327-3224. Here is their website.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
Darkov

Post by Darkov »

Thanks for the help guys. I'll make another call about the styrene sheet and just ask for polystyrene this time.

Lonewolf....I have been out to Harbour Freight quite a few times. I Love that store. I picked up a fewthings there just last week. Mainly a new compressor for my airbrush. And a mini lathe, another moto tool, 6" digital calipers, and some diamond cut-off wheels. The only punch sets they had there were round hollow punches and the smallest was only 3/8".

Anyone have any ideas as to etching the aluminum?

Pete :smoke:
Darkov

Post by Darkov »

I found out how to etch aluminum in case any other are interested. There are actually 2 ways that I have found.

1) Plain old off the shelf "Draino" Just mix some up in a plastic or glass container and place the part you want to etch into the solution. I tried it this afternoon and it works quite well. Not as fast as brass with ferric chloride. But Really inexpensive.

2) HCl is the second. I bought a bottle of Muriatic Acid and a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide. You mix it in a ratio of 1 part Muriatic Acid to 2 parts Hydrogen Peroxide. I tried this out today as well and it has two advantages that I found. It is clear so you can see the progress of the etching without taking the piece out of the etching bath. It works on both brass and aluminum.

One thing about both of these methods is that they both produce rather nasty oder and you will not want to get either one on your skin or in your eyes so wear gloves and goggles.

Just thought I would pass this info along.

Pete