Painting realistic trees and tree stumps

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Chief

Painting realistic trees and tree stumps

Post by Chief »

I'm doing a battle of Endor forest scene and need advice on how to paint the resin trees and tree stumps so they look real.
Sdf-1

Post by Sdf-1 »

My suggestion is simply to get reference photos of suitable trees and try to imitate them. I would use washes, drybrushing and other stuff to give variation and life to them. Good color choices alone will do a lot.

That sounds a cool diorama, hopefully we'll see pics.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

That's pretty much it. Tree bark is pretty monotone, so washing and drybrushing is usually sufficient. Remember stains where branches join and water runs.

Oils will take you a long way on a project like this.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Go Flight

Post by Go Flight »

One thing to remember is that for the most part trees are essentially gray. Only the newer younger branches have any color. I did a dead tree from scratch for one of my dino models if you'd like a look see -
http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL301/202 ... 610855.jpg
Less Than Super Ostrich

Post by Less Than Super Ostrich »

that is really good advice... gray colors are much more prevelant in the larger trees. then add some brown and green highlights. there was a good article at Armorama if you wanna search around... i'll try to find it too.
On the sixth day, God created man... primarily out of Aves Apoxie Sculpt and other greeblies found around his hobby room.
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

One fo the guys over at FSM just posted pics of his. Looks pretty good:
http://www.finescale.com/FSM/CS/forums/ ... wPost.aspx
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
dekesdragon

Post by dekesdragon »

What about a walk in the woods to gather up the real thing?
Depending upon species you gather it might work.
BETTER GOVERNMENT THROUGH OPPRESSION
Do I get a fish biscuit?
Heenz Meenz Beenz
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

I eagerly recommend the "Terrain Masterclass" book by Osprey. I believe it's by Richard Windrow. Also, "Making Wargames Terrain" by Games Workshop is awesome because it shows dirt-cheap ways to make terrain using unsuspecting found objects, such as paper towel tubes.

"Terrain Masterclass" has a great deal to say about trees and bark. It also shows time-consuming yet stunningly-successful approach to trees using twisted wire.

The Games Workshop book is itself cheap and the the techniques are cheap. For those reasons alone it's worth a look.

The scenery manusl by Woodland Scenics is also worth a perusal.
Never miss an opportunity to be a class act.