Attaching photoetched brass screens

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

JeffBond

Attaching photoetched brass screens

Post by JeffBond »

What's the best technique for this? I'm putting screen into a triangular cutaway shape so I laid down plastic strip to create an edge to glue the screen against and used superglue and accelerator...but there's not enough surface at the edge of the screen to hold it against the plastic strip. I guess epoxy would be a better bond but that sounds time consuming and messy and I need to do almost 20 of these insets. Any ideas?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Thicker CA usually does the trick for me. Glop on enough to cover the edge and nail it with some accelerator.
Abolish Alliteration
Antenociti

Post by Antenociti »

i've used 5-minute clear epoxy (devcon) for similar things.
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

What about gluing another thin strip of styrene on top to sandwitch the screen into place inside a sort of frame?
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
JeffBond

Post by JeffBond »

I did think about sandwiching the screen--the only reason I'm holding off is I'm going to want to put some cut paper behind the screen and I'm going to have to paint the screen before I do that and if I'm going to be building up three strips of plastic for every face this is going to take me forever.

Thicker glue sounds like the way to go so I'll definitely check that route out. Thanks very much for the suggestions!
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

You could also use white glue - and excess could be removed with a wet brush. AND if it's messed up, water will soften the glue so you can remove it.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Dakota_in_the_sky

Post by Dakota_in_the_sky »

To align it, I use scotch tape. I put the photo etch on the sticky sticky side. I then put it where I want it. I burnish one half of the tape. When I'm ready to glue, I lift up the unburnished side to apply the glue. When the tape is returned, it automatically goes where it is supposed to.

For glue I use woodland Scenic Cement Scenic Cement. It's like Elmers glue but waaaaaay stronger. It also dries dull. There's no chance of fogging like super glue. It's also easy to clean up if you make a mistake.