Buffing with tac rags...

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Lt. Z0mBe

Buffing with tac rags...

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Wise and Sagely Modelers,

I think I've been doing something neat I should tell you guys about.

I use automotive tac rags when I model. I use them mostly to clear dust before priming. But, I also use them in between coats to smooth coats.

I use a lot of Krylon stuff. Sometimes, when using automotive primers, there might be a "gritty" finish where I've kept my coats light due to preshading. Ten years ago, I would have stripped the model and started over. But, for the last few years, I've been using tac rags.

For a gritty paint job, be it a color coat or a clear coat, I'll simply let the coat thoroughly dry, and repeatedly wipe in the direction of the airflow. This smooths and blends the coat, and buffs away the rough pigment that dried before hitting the surface.

Sometimes if my colors over preshading aren't subtle enough and I can see the individual drops of paint, I will perform the same process. It works wonders in these cases too. When finished, the coat actually has a satin sheen to it. It's similar to buffing pastels or blending oil paints.

Also, clear Krylon flat can be gritty sometimes. Tac rag buffing seems to do wonders with this as well. Be mindful, though, of any pastel weathering you may have already done.

I think it seems to help with gritty Future, but to be honest, I haven't had a Future kaboom in a while.

The one caveat to all of these examples is light, misting coats. All the tac rags in the world won't fix a drowned model. ;)

For those that don't know, tac rags are slightly tacky rags for removing dust prior to painting. They're about the consistency of gauze or cheesecloth.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
mongoose

Post by mongoose »

Thanks for the tip. I was wondering thou, doesnt the tack rag leave a residue behind on the model. I use them in my line of work and unless you use a light touch, it leaves some marks behind. Still, I like the results you are describing.
back to action!
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

mongoose wrote:Thanks for the tip. I was wondering thou, doesnt the tack rag leave a residue behind on the model. I use them in my line of work and unless you use a light touch, it leaves some marks behind. Still, I like the results you are describing.
I don't think it leaves any residue behind, at least none that that I can detect. It seems to leave the hands a bit tacky, but not the model.

As for the "marks" you reference. Yes, it will leave marks. That's were the "Buffing" part of my post comes into play. For example, if you just drag a piece of sandpaper of any grit across a primed surface, there will be a difference in finish relative to the rest of the model.

The same holds true for the tac rag. I wipe the entire model with the rag, in the direction of the airflow. I do it repeatedly until a uniform, satin finish is achieved. Again, this is especially helpful when using automotive primers or clearcoats and you happen to accidentally make one of you coats "grainy." Don't fret! Let it dry overnight and buff it with the tac rag. Far more often than not, the dried pigment, and even embedded dust will be buffed right out, and any "splotchiness" can be blended too. :)

I hope this helps clarify my thinking. I wish I had a 10000 gazilla pixel camera to show what I'm talking about. :D

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.