paint before assemble?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TB2

paint before assemble?

Post by TB2 »

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how many of you paint parts while they're still on the sprues. I've heard this recommended many times, but to me it makes no sense because:

-it's a lot easier to remove mold parting lines off the sprue
-paint needs to be scraped away to ensure a good bond (especially along long surfaces such as fuselage halves where cement tends to bead)
-paint needs to be retouched after removing and sanding

Anyone subscribe to this method?
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

This is mainly done on small parts that would be difficult to paint off the sprue, like joysticks and pneumatic pistons. I always paint the tiny parts while they're still on the sprue, unless they're the same color as the surrounding areas, wherin I'll glue them first.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
HWR MKII

Post by HWR MKII »

Depends on the subject. Tank=paint it all together since thats how its done in the real world. if its a figure , car or even a starship i usually paint it in subassemblies to make the detailing easier.
Stock trader "This is a stock exchange, theres no money tou can steal here."

Bane "Really?! Then why are you people here?