Plastic Bonding Query.

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Jestermon

Plastic Bonding Query.

Post by Jestermon »

Hi, I need help I have bought some of the Hotwheels candy cars in Target and and Fred's I am using them to build a transformer/gundam mix but I need to know what will bond that plastic to the sheet styrene and other plastics I have testors it warks somewhat but not good enough need help thanks. email jestermon@aol.com
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

For a plastic universal adhesive, try anything with methylene chloride in the mix. Ambroid Pro Weld is my personal favorite, and made by the oldest name in hobby glue. Plexiglass cement from the plastics store or the web is more-or-less the same thing, and Tenax 7R will evaporate as your mind wanders. Check the MSDS or ingredients, and look for the methylene chloride.
Andrew
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Gotta go with ambroid or Tennax also. They seem to be pretty much the same in use, though Ambroid smells more. I've trial glued (welded more like) lots of different types of plastic w/o probs. Though I've heard some of the plastics toys are made from can be a bugger to paint.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Jestermon

Thanks

Post by Jestermon »

Hi, thanks guys now when I get a job again I know what to buy lol.
Jestermon

Plastruct Disaster.

Post by Jestermon »

Hi, I could not find either of those products so I went with Plastructs plastic weld, I thought it would be the comparable product but it still has no affect on the plastics these things are made out of, is this the same thing those others would be? Because if it is it would have no effect either I think I will end up just having to putty them up densely.
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Plastruct's stuff should have the chemical on the label. I think they have something like 4 different types, and I don't recall any of them being methylene chloride.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.