How to remove paint???

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

staermose

How to remove paint???

Post by staermose »

I got an old Vinyl Horizon Ed-209 yesterday. The problem is that is built and painted (not very weel). I have already disasemled it, that wasn't a big problem. But I can't seem to get the paint of. I have tried ovencleaner that didn't do annything. Does any of you guys have another suggestion. The paint looks like a semi gloss primer.I don't know who painted it originally. I got it from a guy who got from another guy who found it an office trash can at LEGO. I will have link to some pics of it later today.

Cheers
Staermose
"You see what happens when you have fun with a stranger in the Alps?"
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

Check out the Finishing forums. I think there might be a sticky there about paint removal.

I removed paint from a vinyl Screamin' Stormtrooper kit using Castrol Super Clean (big purple gallon-sized jug). I poured the Castrol into a plastic wash basin, put the figure in, and let it soak for about an hour per side. Scrubbing with a medium-bristled brush removed most of the gloss enamel spray paint and the acrylic primer that was on the kit. Be sure to use heavy-duty disposable rubber gloves, though, because this stuff will eat skin.

Information on the Castrol website.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
Darkov

Post by Darkov »

I've always used Easy-off oven cleaner. It works really well. Just spray it on and let it sit for a while. Then use a fine tooth brush and water and the paint will come right off. Make sure you wear rubber gloves though, Easy-off can burn your hands.

Pete :smoke:
Ron

Post by Ron »

Darkov wrote:I've always used Easy-off oven cleaner. It works really well. Just spray it on and let it sit for a while. Then use a fine tooth brush and water and the paint will come right off. Make sure you wear rubber gloves though, Easy-off can burn your hands.

Pete :smoke:
Although I've yet to try it, I've been told by reliable sources that it also works well on removing paint from clear pieces (ex: canopies).
Ron
Maritime Science Fiction Modelers
http://msfm.seryan.com/ron_e.htm
MRF

Post by MRF »

Eeeeergh, I don't know its proper english name - caustic soda ?
Why so serious ?
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

Found it!

I thought that I remembered that someone had done a summary showing the results of various paint stripping methods. It was Bonedigger's. The summary compares Easy-Off oven cleaner, Castrol, Strip-A-Kit, Dot 3 brake fluid, and Polly S Easy Lift Off. He recommends Castrol hands-down, but does provide a good comparison of each product, with Bonuses and Bummers listed for each one.

http://www.bonediggers.com/1-3/strip/strip.html
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
Tesral

Re: How to remove paint???

Post by Tesral »

staermose wrote:I got an old Vinyl Horizon Ed-209 yesterday. The problem is that is built and painted (not very weel). I have already disasemled it, that wasn't a big problem. But I can't seem to get the paint of. I have tried ovencleaner that didn't do annything. Does any of you guys have another suggestion.
I have yet to find a finish that Simple Green will not remove. You have to soak it, it isn't real fast, but it does the job in a nice non-toxic way.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames
The Mighty Ten-12 lives.
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur.
Olde Phoenix Inn http://www.oldephoenixinn.net
staermose

Post by staermose »

Thanks for all the information so far. I should have wrritten that i live in Denmark. A lot of these brads aren't avelible here. Do some of them have more generic terms like Caustic soda or something like that?
dekesdragon

Post by dekesdragon »

what a find.....we all could be so lucky

what ever you find out as a paint remover, please share.
and I can only image what you will need to re prep the surface
with when done stripping so that the new paint sticks well.
BETTER GOVERNMENT THROUGH OPPRESSION
Do I get a fish biscuit?
Heenz Meenz Beenz
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Uh,you do know don't you that there is a sticky for paint removal?
Normal?? What is normal??
staermose

Post by staermose »

irishtrek wrote:Uh,you do know don't you that there is a sticky for paint removal?
Yes, it was mentioned earlier in this thread as well. But so fa I haven't found anything here in Denmark that works.

Heres a pic of how it looked when I gor it.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c387/ ... ed2091.jpg

Cheers
Staermose