Clean modeling (further adventures in superglue)

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

SGluedMyFingers

Clean modeling (further adventures in superglue)

Post by SGluedMyFingers »

Please note:

Exhibit A

Down in the crevices and in the corners of the instrument panel is, you know it: superglue.

I know, i know... the best way to deal with that is not to get it there in the first place. But the pieces were tiny. I couldn't pick them up with tweezers, much less hold them to just put Sglue on the part. At least not without glueing the tweezers to the part. I had to put them into position and then add Sglue. Even with an applicator, this sometimes made the parts "skate" out of place (big Sgluey mess) or at best left a big Sglue puddle even after trying to absorb the left over with the corner of a paper towel. In spaces this small, a single tiny drop of Sglue becomes a lake. I've never found a sound method for applying small amounts of Sglue in tight spaces that works for me.

So, now what? Any tips on avoiding this in the first place? Any tips for getting the Sglue outta my crack?

I just got in a bottle of Z-7 debonder. Is this stuff strictly for workspace cleanup and unglueing fingers or is there some useful application here? Can I use it real quick to maybe rid the panel of some of this residue or will it eat the whole panel?

I'm kinda hoping Mr. Surfacer will work a miracle, but I'm afraid this panel will look like crap when I prime it.
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Am I suuposed to be seeing something? Cause I aint at this point.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Gstealer

Post by Gstealer »

I don't see any problems in the pic.. :?

I usually put a blob of superglue out on a piece of waxpaper and lightly dip the backside of the part into the glue. If to much is glue on the part I dab it on a corner of a papertowel

For really small pieces I lightly stab the part in an inconspicuous area with the point of a sharp #11 blade and place it like that. The small hole isn't noticeable and sands out easily.
Blarg.
SGluedMyFingers

The pic doesn't really show the residue. I posted the pic just give an idea of the type of part I'm working with. But it is there, in the deep recesses, in the corners. A shot of primer would make it quite obvious.

Just fishing for tips on getting glue out of tight spots and possibly some info about the debonder.

Gstealer, I actually build that panel using that very technique. The problems that I ran into was the surface tension of the blob of glue pulling the part off the blade or the blade not holding the part well enough for placement and it slips or falls off the blade - result: Sglue everywhere, all over the part, all around where I was going to place it. Maybe I'm not stabbing it well enough, but these parts are 0.01 inches thick, the blade would often stab straight through the part or worse, splits it.

This may just be a matter of practice. I've never scratched anything this small before.
Gstealer

Post by Gstealer »

Ok.. never mind then.. I read the post wrong.... :)

I usually just end up scraping any extra glue out of the corners with the edge of #11 and moving on.
Blarg.
SGluedMyFingers

Just used Z-7 Debonder. Excellent.

Dap a drop. Let it sit 20-30 seconds. SGlue rubs away rather easily with Q-tip or scrapes out of tight spots with blade or needle file.

A quick rinse in water with a brisk brushing with a stiff toothbrush and viola.

No damage to the plastic and apparently with just a quick surface soak, the SGlue still maintains it's bond and the pieces are still very solid.

The bottle says to break a solid bond, let it really soak in and penetrate into the seam.