Correction fluid...

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Lt. Z0mBe

Correction fluid...

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Wise and Sagely Modelers,

After reading Field Bishop Miesle's advice, I have purchased some correction fluid. Specifically, I bought some "Wite-out" mentioned in some of the Book of Aves apocryphal texts.

I ask the Council of Styrene and resin this: How do I use this stuff? Should I sand it? Buff it with solvent like Bondo? What solvents work with this stuff? If I don't have to sand it, I don't want to.

I have been experimenting with this fine correction fluid, which, contrary to popular opinion, was actually created by the ancients for use on the first models, along with Aves. I see its promise, but I want to learn more about it.

Advice is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I just glopped it into the little pits and sanded it out.

Works a lot like Mr.Surfacer 500 IIRC.
Abolish Alliteration
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

That's exactly it--glop it on with the little brush, and sand until smooth.

Personally, I've had better luck with the Surfacer line...some of the correction fluid fixes have chipped out after a while. But, it does work in most cases. And it's dirt cheap.

Anyone know what to thin it with?

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Wet sand. It works pretty well in my experiment. Whether there's any advantage over Surfacer, I can't say - maybe on clear parts.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Jonas Calhoun wrote:
Anyone know what to thin it with?

Dan
Many thanks to the council. [-o<

I was inspired by all the responses, so I did a little experiment. On the glass top of my workbench, I placed four swaths of Wite-out. The stuff's flammable, leading me to believe it's either alcohol- or petroleum distillate-based. It does have a hint of lacquer smell, though. :-k

On swath one, I tried to wipe it away with an acetone-containing nail-polish remover-soaked cotton swab. The swath came off the glass in large, cracked pieces.

On swath two, I tried to wipe the Wite-out away with traditional paint thinner. The Wite-out, on contact, returned to its thinned state. I was able to completely wipe it away. No discernible solids remained after a few passes.

On swath three, I tried to wipe the Wite-out away with ammonia-containing window cleaner. There was no noticeable effect on the Wite-out.

Swath four I just wet sanded. It sanded very easily. After ten or twenty seconds with 220-grit sandpaper, it was completely removed.

It looks as though acetone, and possible whatever else is in the nail polish remover (a lot of water-based stuff and glycerine), just destroys the Wite-Out. Paint thinner thins it on contact; the gentlest rubbing removed all traces. Thinner would seem to be the best thinner for Wite-Out. Tupentine or turpatine would probably work too. If you're brave, I think lacquer thinner would have the same effect.

Ammonia, at least in small amounts, seems to have no impact.

I hope this helps. I appreciate all the help you guys offered me. :)

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The original Whiteout thinner was largely alcohol based, but did contain other elements (as straight rubbing alcohol did nothing).
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

kylwell wrote:The original Whiteout thinner was largely alcohol based, but did contain other elements (as straight rubbing alcohol did nothing).
Do you know what type of alcohol it was? :-k

Thanks,

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Nope. And looking around it doesn't look like the thinner is made any more.
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

The Original Formula bottle I have smells like a butyl alcohol derivative.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

So far, the stuff is working like a champ. It's a great filler for small depressions. It dries quickly, and sands easily. There is minimal chipping. The little chipping that does occur is easily fixed with more Wite-Out or white glue and a moist cotton swab.

I had to share my success with the council. :)

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com