Citadel paints any good for airbrushing?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Mike_T

Citadel paints any good for airbrushing?

Post by Mike_T »

Hi folks, i have a decent stock of citadel acrylics sitting around, and i just was wondering if anyone ever tried them through an airbrush. If so what would be the best thinner & what were the results/finish like?

Thanks for any advice :)s
caveslug

Post by caveslug »

Even though I have a huge stock of them, I have never airbrused with mine.
However I have heard some people say that, if they are thinned properly
that they do a pretty good job. Most of them thinned them down with some water, and a drop of windex.

I should mention you can search on GW website, and there is a article about painting up some imp guard tanks. Even though he says you can use citadel paints in a airbrush, he went with Tamiya paints.
Mikko

Post by Mikko »

New Citadel paints can be airbrushed, but they are not very good for this.
Older Citadel (Coat d' Arms) are better, but do require quite a bit of retarder in the mix. I have used distilled water to thin them, but I assume other thinners commonly used for acryllics would work.

Yea...I have some 150pots of the older paints still left.
They are all still useable where almost all of the newer paints are dead after less than 2 years.

My opinion is that they work and can be used, but are certainly not the paints I perfer for airbrushing...or any other work actually.

Some of the metallics even in the new line are pretty OK.

Cheers,
Mikko
Proxxon power!!!