What are Iwata airbrushes like?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Mike_T

What are Iwata airbrushes like?

Post by Mike_T »

Hi folks, wondering what the Iwata brand of A/Brush is like to use, been looking at the Eclipse CS model... are they good quality, easy to use and clean out?

Thanks 8)
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yes.

Any other questions?
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

There are some comments in the Airbrush thread, I think.
They're quality brushes, though. You don't have to worry about that aspect.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I've got an eclipse SBS, and I've been very happy with it. It's a better airbrush than I am an airbrusher...

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Godfather

Post by Godfather »

I've been using Badgers for a couple of years but last WF I consided getting an Iwata airbrush (after hearing how excellent they were)... until they told me how much they wanted for one at their booth. :o

With Iwata you get what you pay for, and you really do pay. :wink:
"If people make you sick, maybe you should cook them longer."
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

Own both Eclipse BS and Revolution CR for about four years. Love em' both. And I've used both Badger and Aztek brushes before coming to Iwata.

The Rev is a little harder to clean, simply because it's nozzle is pretty friggin' lose-this-in-the-carpet tiny. But the Eclipse is easy-peasy.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Thanks for the info bro, I just ordered an Eclipse from Dixie Art. With the hose. Don't know about Iwata, but Badger and Paasche have totally different connections, I figured for 10 bones I might as well get the hose.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

So far I have used 5 airbrushes made by the same factory that makes Iwata airbrushes and never had anything other than JOY with them.

Name might not be the same, looks might vary slightly but all the parts are interchangeable.
They are well made, machined to a high quality and will give long service with a bit of TLC.

Are there better out there possible, but I like the fact that my LHS stocks all the spares and if anything breaks it is a matter of a few minutes to exchange the broken part. :D
Robert S

Post by Robert S »

You won't go wrong with the brush. Had my Eclipes for several years and love it. As far as price it depend on which one you are looking at. The have the noral brushs like the Eclips and Revolutions that are in the Badger Pash range and then they have the Microns which are hand matched brushes built to unbelivabale specs and cost a lot of money.

You will like the brush. Think of Badger as a good solid car while the Iwata would be like a Mustang GT convertable. Oh and you were right to get the hose.
Mal: Define "interesing"?
Wash: Oh god, Oh god, Were all going to die?
Robert

http://www.swartzer.com/writing/serenity2000.php
Mike_T

Post by Mike_T »

Some good advice there, i like the fact that the colour cup is on top of the brush, and seems to have a lid on it..?
zysurge

Post by zysurge »

I bought an Eclipse CS at Wonderfest last year as a replacement to my old Model Master unit. It was expensive, but I haven't regretted it.

It's easy to clean, sprays almost anything effortlessly, and doesn't clog.

Get one.

Eric
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

One note about the side bottle (SBS) eclipse...it takes that same color cups and siphon bottles as an Aztek...I already had a lot of accessories for Azteks, and they are relatively easy to get a hold of. Plus, I can spray from any angle.

Dan
scanam2005

Post by scanam2005 »

I have had my Iwata HP-BC for about 20 years and it is excellant. In all the years I replaced one washer in the air supply section. The airbush accepts both color cups and bottles from the Badger series of brushes. It can be used both left and right handed. The Airbush can produce very very fine lines when I adjust the distance that the needle can move back. I aslo can open it up and spray an entire model. I would highly recommend it.
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

The one I just ordered was only 90 bucks, with the hose, plus free shipping. Dixie Art are the bomb to order from Too. I'm expecting a little delay since they're in New Orleans, but they only expect a 2 week delay for international orders. Got the siphon jar model, I've got a ton of jars already.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Mike_T

Post by Mike_T »

I got my New Iwata Eclipse HP-CS in the post today, and what a beauty it is to behold. Now, im wondering with this new brush, would i have to clean and strip it down everytime i use it, or make sure i run some cleaner through it and clean it out that way, then strip it down say once a month or so.. ?

:?:
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Depends...I run cleaner through mine on color changes, and then give it a quick full clean at the end of each session. However, there are times that just running cleaner between color changes isn't enough, and I do have to break it down. On the Eclipse though, it just takes a few minutes to do.

Dan
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

That's what I do also: flush between colors, break down at the end of a session.

I disassemble the cap/nozzle assembly, go over the nozzle with a GUM Proxabrush, and brush and soak the caps in cleaner/thinner. Needle gets a cleaner wipe down and a light lube. Re-assemble, flush with distilled water and it's done.

Now, I've not yet needed to take apart the airvalve body/assembly.

Eclipse Schematic *.pdf so this makes more sense.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
Jagdson
Location: Hunched over my keyboard like a *pothoc* vulture, cursing my inability to properly budget my time.

Post by Jagdson »

I'm glad I saw this thread. There's an Iwata set for sale at the "local" art supply house (which also stocks mold and resin sets - yay), and it's about $60 with tax. I don't know which version it is, but I thought I recalled the name having a good reputation. I think now I'll have to buy it.
Science created airplanes and skyscrapers, but it took faith to bring them together.

Trust me. I'm a priest.
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

I just got my Rev CR from Dixie Art yesterday. Bought it after a friend got it and he told me that it was an easy clean. My other airbrush is a Wren B which I have used since 1975 and I am happy with it, for what I use it for.

Got the CR because I am now getting into figures and wanted something that would give me better control.