Hole puncher question

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

raist3001

Hole puncher question

Post by raist3001 »

I would like to be able to cover the PL refit windows in order to paint. I believe the windows are 1MM? Is there a hole puncher that can punch a hole that small?
-TONY

"Second star to the right and straight on till morning."
- Captain James T. Kirk
stevipop

Post by stevipop »

Hi Raist,

You could try this (store locator at top). It only does 1/16" (1.5mm) as the smallest size though. I'll be using this on my own refit as I think 1.5mm is just the right scale for the portholes (just MHO you understand).

Alternatively you could break the bank and buy this (3rd item from bottom).

There are leather punches available at most craft outlets, but most I've seen only start at 1/8" (3.17mm).

BTW, fabulous work you are doing on your refit; very impressive finish.

PS For anyone in the UK, the same item in the first link is available here

QUICK EDIT - In the second link to the Japanese screw punch, the item below it costs a lot less, and has 7 tips. The picture link to the item is on the blink though. It maybe worth giving them a call as to sizes (don't know how I missed that when I was browsing :? )
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

How about using a pinvise with right diameter drill to open the holes?
raist3001

Post by raist3001 »

stevipop wrote:Hi Raist,

You could try this (store locator at top). It only does 1/16" (1.5mm) as the smallest size though. I'll be using this on my own refit as I think 1.5mm is just the right scale for the portholes (just MHO you understand).

Alternatively you could break the bank and buy this (3rd item from bottom).

There are leather punches available at most craft outlets, but most I've seen only start at 1/8" (3.17mm).

BTW, fabulous work you are doing on your refit; very impressive finish.

PS For anyone in the UK, the same item in the first link is available here

QUICK EDIT - In the second link to the Japanese screw punch, the item below it costs a lot less, and has 7 tips. The picture link to the item is on the blink though. It maybe worth giving them a call as to sizes (don't know how I missed that when I was browsing :? )
The first link looks very good. I purchased a hole punch over the weekend from Michaels. The smallest punch it makes is 2MM. A tad too big. I believe the port windows on the PL refit are 1.5MM as you have said.

Thanks for the info Stevipop, and the kind words:)
-TONY

- Captain James T. Kirk
raist3001

Post by raist3001 »

Zen-Builder wrote:How about using a pinvise with right diameter drill to open the holes?
Thanks for the idea Zen. I want to be able to punch a hole and save the diameter cut out in order to mask my refit windows for painting.
-TONY

- Captain James T. Kirk
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

How about a piece of brass tube with the inside diameter what you need? You wouldn't need a lot of force to cut through Tamiya tape...

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
raist3001

Post by raist3001 »

Jonas Calhoun wrote:How about a piece of brass tube with the inside diameter what you need? You wouldn't need a lot of force to cut through Tamiya tape...

Dan
Hmm....good idea. Thanks:)
-TONY

- Captain James T. Kirk