Fine Cracks in Future??!!??

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Stilgar

Fine Cracks in Future??!!??

Post by Stilgar »

Well Im trying to finish the base for my NX-01. And I finally put a coat of future on it. It looked really good about 12 hours after application. However now, 24+ hours later, I glanced at it and thought there was a bunch of cat hair stuck to it. Well....it wasnt cat hair.

It appears that for some reason the future has developed very fine cracks all over the surface. You can only see them in certain angles of light.
So.....anyone have any idea what happened here? And whats the best way to remove the future? Windex?

All help appreciated....

Stilgar
karim

Post by karim »

Is it possible that there was a moisture contamination in your application? Do you have a moisture trap in our airbrush? What did you thin the Future with?

Differential drying would certainly cause what you describe. How many coats did you apply? Did you give them each a chance to cure before applying the next?

As for removing it, anything with amonia will work.
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

Cracking can also be caused by spraying Future over enamel or lacquer paints that haven't fully cured.

Erin
<*>
karim

Post by karim »

Thanks, Erin, that's an obvious one I missed...
mightymax

Future Not so bright

Post by mightymax »

I stopped using Future for this very reason. I had trouble when sprayed over Gunze. Everyone says the uncured paint thing. The way I build I have to tell you that freakin paint was cured long before any Future touched the model. I now use Future on the floor where it belongs and pony up the dough for the brand of gloss/flat that goes with the paint I am using. This way I don't ruin a kit that took me 3 months to complete!
Cheers,
Max Bryant
karim

Post by karim »

Well, I've had it happen exactly one time, and that was when I screwed up the mixture in my brush.

I haven't had any problems with it since...
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Well....the underlying paint had dried for many days. I would think it would have cured. However...it WAS very cheap black gloss rattle can paint.

I applied the future in one coat useing a brush.

Stilgar
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I'm starting to think it's a problem with putting Future over a glossy surface. I've had troubles with that myself - never with a flat paint or rarely with semigloss. This is usually Gunze and Tamiya I'm talking about, btw.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
karim

Post by karim »

Hmm... now that you mention it, I realize I've never used it over gloss. You may be on to something.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

If your Future cracks, your model's not ruined. Dip a cotton swab in Windex and buff out the cracks. You can do the same for Future runs or drips. :)

But, shoot Future in very light coats over gloss coats to avoid cracking in the first place. Make sure enamels/lacquers/calf manure/acrylics or whatever you paint with are completely cured before you paint.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
mightymax

Yes But

Post by mightymax »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:If your Future cracks, your model's not ruined. Dip a cotton swab in Windex and buff out the cracks. You can do the same for Future runs or drips. :)

But, shoot Future in very light coats over gloss coats to avoid cracking in the first place. Make sure enamels/lacquers/calf manure/acrylics or whatever you paint with are completely cured before you paint.

I hope this helps.

Kenny
This is true. Windex will clean up Future. I use it to flush Future from my airbrush.

No Windex will not save a model that has been gloss coated with Future for decaling then shot with clear flat to dull out the shine. :(

Cheers,
Max Bryant
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

err...now you have me worried...
I do plan to airbrush future on the model after decals are complete, and then use dull coat to remove the gloss. Will this be a problem?

I will really REALLY be pissed if I ruin this model on the very last step of the entire process....

Stilgar

(note - the cracks mentioned above are on the base for the model, not the model itself. And it appears that windex has removed most of them)
karim

Post by karim »

My usual technique for dullcoat is to mix Polyscale Flat Clear into Future. I really like the results, and by varying the mix, I can get everything from semi-gloss to satin to flat to dead flat.

I've found that as long as the mix is at least 30% Future (a flat satin), I can still remove it with windex.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

As long as the dullcoat is acrylic, no problem. Do go light, though. Several light coats are always better than a single heavy coat.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I've had bad experiences with Future over gloss as well. What I have done from then on is:

1). Spray Dullcote over the surface if it wasn't flat in the first place.

2). Apply decals, along with decal adhesive so they don't peal.

3). Apply a light coat of Future on the decals first.

4). Apply another light coat of Future. Let dry and repeat 3 or 4 times.

5). Spray Dullcote if desired.

This usually works wonders, especially considering Ertl decals absolutely hate Dullcote. Found that out the hard way, on a fiber optic Enterprise D kit.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!