Compressor advice...

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Mike_T

Compressor advice...

Post by Mike_T »

Hi folks, can anyone tell me if this compressor..

http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/index.p ... ge_id=8989

..is any good? Im looking to invest and it looks to have all the right equipment..

MT
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

Doesn't look to shabby seems to have all the required stuff.
One NEEDED feature I find missing on the list is an auto-cut-off.

The top compressor looks like my "old" one that is "oil-less" and tends to overheat after 15+ minutes of running non-stop. Which apart from the tank seem to be the only difference.

My "new" compressor is an air-tex with a much smaller tank, auto-cutoff, etc. It needs oil in order to run silent, but I hardly ever hear it and never have to worry about the compressor/motor overheating.

Personally, I don't think that it will be that quiet or that hassle-free.
FYI, I nearly bought a compressor twice as expensive as my current one before I knew that it had the SAME over-heating problem as my old compressor.

New compressor:
http://image.www.rakuten.co.jp/be-j/img10411405773.jpeg

Old Compressor:
http://image.www.rakuten.co.jp/be-j/img10411615823.jpeg

Either of which are GOOD comressors but tend to have different applications.
Robert S

Post by Robert S »

Don't know if this is available to you but I bought this several years ago and love it. It is moderatly quiet and has a regultor that works fairly well. Added a moister trap that I got at Home Depot and a couple of 1/4" fittings and it done for about 140.00US

http://www.toolsdirect.com/presentation ... &finish=NA

(btw I don't know the company just used the like for ref)
Mal: Define "interesing"?
Wash: Oh god, Oh god, Were all going to die?
Robert

http://www.swartzer.com/writing/serenity2000.php
Mike_T

Post by Mike_T »

Hmm, ok and how about the revel comressors?

http://www.artifolk.co.uk/product.aspx? ... 7&r=kelkoo
Lt. Z0mBe

Re: Compressor advice...

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Mike_T wrote:Hi folks, can anyone tell me if this compressor..

http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/index.p ... ge_id=8989

..is any good? Im looking to invest and it looks to have all the right equipment..

MT
There's a ".PDF" document there available for download. I'd check it and see if it has an auto-cutoff mechanism. If so, I'd go for it. :)

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

My little Senco model 1010 is very nice, and quite quiet. I did add a ball valve so I could disconnect the air hose without draining the tank.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

I lurv my Silentaire Scorpion 1. No tank, but not needed, I don't use it with a nailgun.. No pulsation, built in moisture trap, auto on and off.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Mike_T

Post by Mike_T »

Well lads, i have been in touch with the folks who stock the ripmax in the first
post and they said it has a thermal cut out, no auto off by the sounds of it. Is that a bad thing? I cant see myself using the comp for long periods..
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

I think it is pretty much the same thing.

My compressor cuts off when the tank reaches a certain pressure and starts up again when it drops below a certain pressure.
Only problem with it is that it is so quiet that I once fell asleep next without switching it off. :shock:

From now on I will always go for compressors that use oil rather than the oil-less ones, bit more maintenance but sooo much more quiet.
Mike_T

Post by Mike_T »

Been doing some more research, it's dam hard to find online shops who stock
these things in the uk.

http://www.graphicsdirect.co.uk/product ... ressor.htm

Have a look at that one, a bit more expensive than the other one though :?
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

That one looks a lot nice to me.

For me buying a Compressor is a MAJOR purchase as it shouldn't be replaced after only a few years of working.
Thus besides the compressors ability I also look at things like ease of maintenance, spares, etc.

Think about if your comp or A/B go down are you willing to wait for a few weeks for them to come back from the Factory??
I can get spares for all my A/B and my LHS guarantees me a maximum wait of 2 weeks in case the comp needs to be sent to the factory.

It is not just about getting a cheap price but getting real value for your money.
Mike_T

Post by Mike_T »

Hmm, very true, it is a major purchase for me. I've been stymied in my work
by having a next to useless compressor for too long, and i want to move onto the next level in the hobby. Will have to give it some more thought but i do like the look of that TC2000.

:wink:
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

Here is my Compressor & tank with the cover off.

http://zen-builder.com/pics/Compressor.jpg

FYI, the Compressor costs a bit more at 345 GBP, but than I paid more that for my A/B alone.

Had my current setup now for a few years and it still runs as smooth as the day that I got it. Very similar setups are used by some pro's here.

Like I said I like the "silence" of it as I can airbrush about 2 metres away from the family watching TV.
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

Can anyone tell me if these two compressors are any good? And which of them is better?
Compressor 1
Compressor 2
Or is another on this site better?
Thanks for any info! :)
Mike_T

Post by Mike_T »

Well i went ahead and ordered the TC2000, i will report back on how i get on with it :)
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

darth_daniel wrote:Can anyone tell me if these two compressors are any good? And which of them is better?
Compressor 1
Compressor 2
Can anyone answer my questions? I´m searching for a compressor around $100, maybe $20 up maximum, cause I´m getting tired of using pressurised dispensers... :?
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I bought the Senco 1010 for about $130, and I have seen it on Amazon (Tool Crib) for $100 in the past. Maybe a Froogle search would find it cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000A ... i&v=glance

Terry Miesle
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

darth_daniel wrote:
darth_daniel wrote:Can anyone tell me if these two compressors are any good? And which of them is better?
Compressor 1
Compressor 2
Can anyone help me with the questions above? Pleeeaase....
And is a compressor with oil less operation better than one with oil?
Thanks for any help! :)
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

Ok, here is my view and take on the question.

All the compressors you link to appear to oil and tankless ones.
Which means they will most likely start to get warm after about 15 minutes of conintous running and need cool-down time.

Tankless compressors also tend to pulse a bit on the airflow straight from the compressor.

Compressors with oil tend to run quieter and, IMO, have a longer lifespan that ones without. All you really need to worry about is keeping the oil-topped up same as in your car engine. Not much difference in performance and output.

IMHO, a good compressor setup should include a tank, regulator(a must), moisture trap(not a must but good to have).

In short it really depends on your airbrushing needs and how you use the compressor when deciding between one that uses oil and one that doesn't.

I live in an apartment and often tend to airbrush late at night so quiet is a major concern for me.
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

Then is there any compressor on this site that has got all the stuff you´d recommend?

But it´s unlikely that `ll use the airbrush longer than 5-10 min. maximum anyway.
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

Most of the compressors on that site are without tanks and also seem to lack the regulator/moisture trap.
All the compressors are decent and will work well once you got the additional regulator/moisture trap.

Check the site below for additional compressors and for price comparison.
http://www.dixieart.com/CompressorsMain.html

For a good compressor with all the features I listed expect to lay down a few hundred $$$.
Mike_T

Post by Mike_T »

Hi again, well i got the new compressor through the mail the other day. The TC2000 in the above post. Just had a chance to try it tonight on a piece of scrap, and my airbrush now sprays like a dream! The comp came with its moisture trap and regulator+gauge, and two airlines with adaptors for paasche, aztec, and badger. Its pretty quiet too so im really happy that it's now working much better than before, the finish is sweet and im looking forward to finishing off my current project.

But i do have another query....

I used the colour cup tonight for the first time, but i find they are pretty tricky to use. What do some of the folks on here use? Eg. do you thin your paint in the bottles, then tip it out into the cup or just use the siphon bottle? I find that the little hose on my bottle isnt very long so i need to put more paint in just so it can pick it up..

Thanks again for the advice on here guys, really helped me out :wink:
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

I can't remember the last time I used a siphon bottle. I use the color cup, and mix paint either in the bottle or in a separate cup. Then, just use the pipette to add a bit of paint at a time so the cup isn't completely full.

It might take a bit more effort, but I prefer the results - both in less wasted paint and in control.

Terry Miesle
Mike_T

Post by Mike_T »

Interesting, one of the things im worried about, is forgeting and tipping the paint out all over the place?! Do the colour cups vary in size or will they fit any make of Abrush? The one i have doesnt seem to hold much paint :?
DangeRuss66

Post by DangeRuss66 »

This is the compressor that I'm considering, only $99 at Home Depot:

http://huskytools.com/husky/Category957 ... duct4.html

I really don't know much about it yet though. It looks like it would suit my purposes pretty well with its 1.75 gallon tank, 135 PSI, and 25 foot hose. I just can't tell if it has a built-in regulator or not, if it does, it would be perfect. Just add a moisture trap! Has anybody seen or used this compressor? I'd love to hear your reviews or just general thoughts.