My solder Iron wont work

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

joey_d1119

My solder Iron wont work

Post by joey_d1119 »

I turn it on, it heats up to the proper temp. But my solder wont stick to the end. I the iron a week ago to cut through some plastic, but I washed it all off after I cleaned up after last time. What should I do?
"I am a gazelle, watch me plunge in ratings" - Captain Archer, Stardate: it never should have happened.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Sounds like you need to re-tin the tip.
Abolish Alliteration
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Take a file and lightly run it over the tip--not to blunt it, but more to clean it.

Then re-tin it.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I was going to suggest steel wool.
Abolish Alliteration
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

"Re-tinning" just means cleaning the tip, then melting some solder onto it so it flows over and covers the tip with a thin layer of solder. If the solder doesn't flow and cover the tip, it probably isn't clean enough.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Are you using the same solder as before? I learned the hard way that plumber's solder won't work with a soldering iron.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

It is possible you've lost the tin on the tip, application of solder won't necessarily re-tin it. I've had this happen to me too. Which is why I have a soldering iron just for 'dirty' work. You can find tip tinner at radio shack or other electronic supply sources.

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index. ... p%20tinner

There are some (cheep) irons that come looking clean as can be, but have not been tinned. Solder balls up and rolls right off. The tip must be left to heat, then plunged into the can of tip tinner. Then the iron works beautifully. This was the case with the solder station i got from kitsusa.net

BTW a tip can also loose its tinning if left on to long yes I have left mine on all day and most of a night). So that jar of tip tinner is good to have just incase you notice the tip isn't transferring heat as well as it use too.
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

Just get some paste flux like plumbers use and put some on the tip. That will cut through most contaminants and it'll automatically re-tin when you put the solder on it. That is, afterall, what it's supposed to do. Most soldering iron tips are made of copper and some are plated to prevent the erosion of the copper by normal soldering action but it's not really a problem if you do file the tip to clean it up. In practice, if you ever get the tip pitted that badly, just clean it up with a file again and repeat the process.