un-glueing a x-wing

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

kallen-bortas

un-glueing a x-wing

Post by kallen-bortas »

newbie here.I have recently gotten back in the modeling craze.

I found an old x-wing fighter model I made(I'm talking early 80s maybe late 70s, when I was a kid.) I'm planing on re-doing the thing as part of a diarama kinda thing and I basically want to start over.

The thing is unpainted so what I want to know is what is the easiest way to get the parts un-glued? I used the basic testors model cement to construct it. Is it possible or am I doomed to whiteness on the pilot. Yes, I didn't even paint the pilot...but hey, I was a kid.

The plan is to re-do the ship and display it in a terrierium as crashed in a "swamp" type planet w/ Insect eating plants in a tank to make it look "alien".
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I'll move this to the Construction forum.

I know there are threads there concerning this issue. I will also make a sticky topic, I think.

Welcome back to the fold, Kallen!
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Since Testors cement actually fuses the parts together, I'm not sure you can pull this off. Did you cement the entire joint or just the allignment pins, like I did when I first started modeling.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
max142

Post by max142 »

First off, welcome the the site. Great guys and gals here; with a lot of experience.

When I was a kid (many years aog) I glued mine with drops along the joint. If you glued this way you could try running a chisel bladed ex-act alng the seam. or any wage. just try to go slow.

Of course, you local hobbyshop might carry the reprints of the x wing. That way you can have a kid version and an adult version
Alvis 3.1

Post by Alvis 3.1 »

TER-OR wrote:I'll move this to the Construction forum.

I know there are threads there concerning this issue. I will also make a sticky topic, I think.

Welcome back to the fold, Kallen!
Was the pun intended? "Sticky"????
Wa-hahahahahaha!

As for de-glyeing, you can try putting it in a bag then putting the whole works in the freezer for a few hours..the cold makes the glue joints more brittle..sometimes.
Otherwise, try the above mentioned "chiselling" method, as well as slowly cutting along the seams with a sharp exacto knife..carefully...finger tips don't always grow back!
Have3 fun, take your time and any dmage incurred can be dressed up as actual vehicle damage or covered with mud, water, plants, or squarshed bugs!

Alvis 3.1
duck

Post by duck »

SOmetimes using the different paint stripping methods weakens the glue, making it easier to disassemble!

Spraying the model with easy off oven cleaner and sealing in a plastic bag is one mothod.
Using Easy Lift Off solution from Poly S works great for me.
Burn your dead.
kallen-bortas

Post by kallen-bortas »

Since Testors cement actually fuses the parts together, I'm not sure you can pull this off. Did you cement the entire joint or just the allignment pins, like I did when I first started modeling.
I'm pretty sure I glued the whole thing. I tend to overdo things. I also used the Testors cement, since that was what I could only find back then.

I know I want to remove the cockpit cover, which is clear plastic, I think the other parts might be able to be "touched up". I'll prob. remove the pilot all together, to give the effect that it was wrecked and he has "wasted away". Which is why I'm trying to remove the cockpit cover.

I know its going to get a unique type paint scheme...not the typical 1 red stripe on top & sides. Prob. put some battle damage as well.
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

I think I paid $14.99 for the re-issue at Toys-is-us so I'd say going to the trouble of trying to get the thing apart prolly aint worth it.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
kallen-bortas

Post by kallen-bortas »

Maybe, but I already got that one and I don't like Star Wars enough to buy anything else.

I know that Super Clean will remove paint well...but what about glue??? Anybody ever tried that???
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Which kind of Testors glue did you use? Some of their stuff is more of an adhesive with relativly weak bonding. Some welds permanently. Try the "stuff it in the freezer" trick first and see what happens. THEN the Castrol GT trick.

HTH
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

big-dog wrote:I think I paid $14.99 for the re-issue at Toys-is-us so I'd say going to the trouble of trying to get the thing apart prolly aint worth it.
They're re-releasing both kits? I thought they were only doing the puny snap-together one. :-k
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

I've seen botha X-kits. Although they have the puny snap kit in a box big enough for 3 whole kits, unassembled. Kinda cheating, that.