How do you do this effect with an air brush?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

justcrash

How do you do this effect with an air brush?

Post by justcrash »

http://www.starshipmodeler.org/gallery8/ks_ent.htm

Specifically, the bussards. I've seen others too, where they kind of haze from an orange into a white. I think it looks cool, but I have no idea how to do it. :(
Marcal

Post by Marcal »

best option is to ask directly this modeler, but here is how I would do it:

take a piece of cardboar, mask the part you don't want to weather and just airbrush smoothly on the cardboard edge in the right direction.

try it on a scratch before !
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

On the 1:1000, I'd use cardstock or large post-its.
Marcal

Post by Marcal »

Babaganoosh wrote:On the 1:1000, I'd use cardstock or large post-its.
with my 1/1600 3 pieces kit I also used post-its, but I did it with pastels. The effect looks pretty cool.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

He's not talking about the paneling but the bussards.
Abolish Alliteration
Marcal

Post by Marcal »

kylwell wrote:He's not talking about the paneling but the bussards.
Oh, yeah ! right, I was testing if everyone was paying attention...

well, in that case... I would paint the bussard collector in yellow or orange as a basecoat and red over it. When dry, I would take a piece of steel wood (or whatever it is called in english) and smoothly sand the bussard. In some places it will be orange/yellon while the complete thing will look plain red...
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Marcal wrote:
Oh, yeah ! right, I was testing if everyone was paying attention...

well, in that case... I would paint the bussard collector in yellow or orange as a basecoat and red over it. When dry, I would take a piece of steel wood (or whatever it is called in english) and smoothly sand the bussard. In some places it will be orange/yellon while the complete thing will look plain red...
I thought the same thing and was working on how to word it when I realised he was talking about the busards and I have no idea of how to approach that.
Abolish Alliteration
justcrash

Post by justcrash »

Bingo! :) Thanks! :)
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

I think the camera flash plays a big role in the effect you're seeing on those pictures.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Gonzowerke

Post by Gonzowerke »

As the big dog said, it's probably flash. But, you can still do it. I assume you have a DA airbrush, and not an SA?You need to be able to regulate paint flow as well as airflow.

Go get a few ping pong balls, and cut them in half. No, you won't be able to see your results well, but it will still allow you to practice and find the right technique for when you do the real thing. Practice spraying with low airflow, and aim right for the center of the dome. start adding paint to the airflow
a little at a time until you find the right combination that will lay down orange in the middle without too much overspray getting to the edges. Then just do the whole inside white. Before you do the orange, you could lay down the ghosted gray lines to simulate the interior vanes on the shooting model.
Remember, when painting the BACKside of clear pieces, the foreground goes on first.

Hope this helps,

Gonzo out.
"What's Gonzo like? He's like Einstein, only evil!"
-Chris Palmer

"I don't like this ship! It's not fun!"
- Me, on the STVI enterprise kit
justcrash

Post by justcrash »

Gonzowerke wrote:As the big dog said, it's probably flash. But, you can still do it. I assume you have a DA airbrush, and not an SA?You need to be able to regulate paint flow as well as airflow.

Go get a few ping pong balls, and cut them in half. No, you won't be able to see your results well, but it will still allow you to practice and find the right technique for when you do the real thing. Practice spraying with low airflow, and aim right for the center of the dome. start adding paint to the airflow
a little at a time until you find the right combination that will lay down orange in the middle without too much overspray getting to the edges. Then just do the whole inside white. Before you do the orange, you could lay down the ghosted gray lines to simulate the interior vanes on the shooting model.
Remember, when painting the BACKside of clear pieces, the foreground goes on first.

Hope this helps,

Gonzo out.
Yes Gonzo, I have a DA Badger 360. I see where you are coming from, thanks! how about for solid resin? What I am thinking of doing is laying down a flat white, and then build up from the edges (using an index card as a mask) the other color, and lay less and less paint until I hit the center where it is all white. Think that wouldwork?
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Several gradations of paint colors - gradually whiter might work best, that way you can ensure a smooth transition. The 360 should give you a pretty good line.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
justcrash

Post by justcrash »

TER-OR wrote:Several gradations of paint colors - gradually whiter might work best, that way you can ensure a smooth transition. The 360 should give you a pretty good line.
I was thinking of doing the white underneath, and then gradually decreasing the color from the nacelles until I hit the tip of the bussard dome which would be white. Bad idea, Ter?
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I say give it a try, see how it works!
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
justcrash

Post by justcrash »

TER-OR wrote:I say give it a try, see how it works!
W'll do. When it is done I will post pics! :)