Lighting Windows without lighting them?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

joey_d1119

Lighting Windows without lighting them?

Post by joey_d1119 »

Hello,
Im building the "All Good Things" Enterprise D. There are two resin pieces that have windows, but the pieces are solid resin. What can I put on the windows that will reflect light coming from the warp engines and the lighted windows on the plastic parts of the model, that will give the illusion that the windows on the resin piece are illuminated. I was thinking of using a silver pen to fill in the winows, but Im hoping you all have something better in mind.
"I am a gazelle, watch me plunge in ratings" - Captain Archer, Stardate: it never should have happened.
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

Here is what I would try.

Paint the windows either white or a metallic colour(silver might be a bit strong) and than fill the recesses if any with acrylic gel or a similar medium.

The Gel will simulate the window pane and the colour behind it reflect the light.

Try it on a scrap piece.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

White looks better than silver - white tinted with a bit of yellow looks really good. Cover with good clearcoat.

Or, look for some reflective material like Scotch-lite. I keep meaning to go to a sign shop and get some scraps.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
joey_d1119

Post by joey_d1119 »

where can i pick up some scotch lite?
"I am a gazelle, watch me plunge in ratings" - Captain Archer, Stardate: it never should have happened.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

One trick would be to paint ALL the windows with fluorescent paint - paint that glows with 'black light' shines on it. Then shine 'black light' on it!

Scotchlight? Go to an automotive supply shop and look for reflective tape. It's a pebbly lookig white(ish) tape used for marking off warning areas or 'reflectorizing' car bits. By 3M, probably. Wally World often has it.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Yeah, it's a 3M product. Sign shops use all colors of it for reflective signs. Also seen on shoes, jackets, etc. for night-time visibility.

They may have scraps you could snag. I keep meaning to try this myself. Zog's right though - you will find it in stores as reflector tape.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
joey_d1119

Post by joey_d1119 »

I just bought some for real cheap on ebay!
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

There's always glow in the dark paints.
Normal?? What is normal??
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

irishtrek wrote:There's always glow in the dark paints.
That's like...

philosophical.

Almost...

metaphysical
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Nere heard metaphisycal before.
Normal?? What is normal??
kinooruen

Post by kinooruen »

I've had some success with acrylic pearlescent white mixed with transparent colors. The pearl's got a bit more life to it than plain white. Aluminum Plate (buffing) Metallizer with a transparent over coat also works.
Roger Sorensen
aka the Model Citizen
http://employees.csbsju.edu/rsorensen/modelcitizen

You don't ever really finish a model, you just choose when to stop working on it.