Masking windows.........first of many questions!

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Johnnyvegas

Masking windows.........first of many questions!

Post by Johnnyvegas »

More to the point masking all the dang windows on the Polar Lights 1/350 Enterprise refit. There's a bazillion and a half of them, and liquid mask doesn't seem to be a very time efficient way to do it................thought of a very small punch and die set, and masking tape, but where would one get the punch set?

thanks in advance Guys and Gals!

John
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

If you've already glued in the windows then you could try a paper punch I do believe they come with different size holes.Or you could take the end of a metal rod the right size and dip it in the liquid mask and place it the windows, I've done myself.
Normal?? What is normal??
woozle

Post by woozle »

If you haven't installed them yet, paint them with liquid mask, then install them. Personally, I plan to fill around them with super-glue, polish, then mask with punched tape.
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
Johnnyvegas

Post by Johnnyvegas »

The windows are installed and polished, where could one find a 2 mm paper punch?

John
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Try some place like Office Depot.
Normal?? What is normal??
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

There are loads of punches at office supply shops and craft stores. You might find something to fit your requirements at Michaels or Hobby Lobby.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Johnnyvegas

Post by Johnnyvegas »

Just got back from Michaels, got the idea to try a leather punch, worked great, but 2mm is too big, they had a 1.6mm punch set too, guess I'll try that out tomorrow.............Will report back on how it works!

Thanks All!

John
Mike the Canuck

Post by Mike the Canuck »

I use white school glue. I cover up window to mask it, wipe off the excess so the plastic can be painted and in the case of a ship where 'window frames' need to be painted, I just use a fine tip from cut sheet styrene to remove the glue while still wet. After everything is painted, I remove the hardened/dry glue and presto, the 'window' stays clear and the frame is coloured.
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

An easy way to mask them with liquid mask is to put a pool of the masking solution on a card and use a flat ended wire to dab it onto the windows. It may take alittle paractice, but the mask can be peeled off if not right.

A few runs of dabbing and you will be surprised how fast it will go. Try to get a wire (or rod) that is a bit smaller than the window - there is usually a bit of "squishout" that widens the blob on the surface. Di, dab, dip, dab... really will take a lot less time than punching out and placing a bazillion teeny tape dots.

Another option is rub-on lettering. In art supply stores you can get rub-on sets of dotted lines, with different sized dots. Perfect circles, and they lift right off with a bit of tape after painting. No bleed-under of paint, either.

Kev
Beacher

Post by Beacher »

I've had good results with dabbing "dots" of liquid masking stuff, as Kekker suggested.

But if you'd like a punch for modelers, I hear the Historex punch set from England is ideal. If you're willing to wait for shipping. :wink: