Decal problem

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

joey_d1119

Decal problem

Post by joey_d1119 »

Hello,
I applied decals from JT graphics to my Enterprise D, but when light hits the model from certain angels the clear part of the decals reflects the light. I cut the shape, but for example the main ship registry, the spaces in between the letters reflect light. How do I get the decals to be ....well perfect?
"I am a gazelle, watch me plunge in ratings" - Captain Archer, Stardate: it never should have happened.
Johnnycrash

Re: Decal problem

Post by Johnnycrash »

joey_d1119 wrote:Hello,
I applied decals from JT graphics to my Enterprise D, but when light hits the model from certain angels the clear part of the decals reflects the light. I cut the shape, but for example the main ship registry, the spaces in between the letters reflect light. How do I get the decals to be ....well perfect?
First, you did nothing wrong. That's a very good first step. :)

What you are seeing is the difference in specularity in the surface of the decal and the rest of the model's paint job. The best way to eliminate this difference is with a clear gloss (or dull) coat. This makes all the surfaces the same specularity, and therefore no differences in the surface.

Take some of the decal paper leftovers, and try it on a scrap model or even just a chunk-o-plastic. Paint it. Decal it. Clear coat it. Enjoy it. :)
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Decal issues are discussed in great detail in the finishing forum.
So, a quick kick to that place...
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
scanam2005

Toning

Post by scanam2005 »

I agree that clear coat will help blend in the decals on the kit. Using matte reduces reflection and will elimate some silvering of the clear section of decals. Abother solution if clear coat doesn't work is to use the "tone method" which is a current craze on armor. You mix 5% of the predominant color with 95% thinner and lightly mist on the model. The overtone blends things together and distracts the eye from sharp edges and changes in color. The mist should be so light it is hardly noticebale but it will be there. Try toning on a scrrap sheet of paper to obtain the right density.
joey_d1119

Post by joey_d1119 »

I was using the dull coat....I just didnt coat it enough.....I did another few coats and BAM...perfecto....thanks guys!!!!!
"I am a gazelle, watch me plunge in ratings" - Captain Archer, Stardate: it never should have happened.