large scale chrome finishes

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Marlonius

large scale chrome finishes

Post by Marlonius »

No, I'm not building the Naboo ship from Episode 1, but doing something along those lines.

I'm building a replica of my dad's old motorcycle, a 1966 Honda Superhawk. Although the kit comes with a couple of chrome plated trees, the fenders, which dear old dad had had chromed aftermarket on his bike, are not.

Like any modeling project, faithfulness to the original is paramount here.

And so I put it to you fine folks: any suggestions on how to best achieve the chrome finish on a 1/8th motorcycle fender?

I'm thinking bare-metal, but I'm not sure if it would work over such a large area.

All suggestions apprciated!

Marlon
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Ever since a wise man told me to strip the plated chrome off the parts and replace with Alclad, I've been a very happy man.

You don't need to worry about anything matching, where the parts cut from the sprue damaging the chrome, etc. And Alclad's unbelievably easy to use (as long as you follow the directions!)

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Marlonius

Post by Marlonius »

Thanks Dan,

Next question: what is Alclad and where do I get some? I want this bike to be really special for my dad, so I'm willing to go to considerable lengths.

-Marlon
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

It's a metallic paint, similar to Testors Metalizer, but much more durable. Matt Swan has a good writeup at http://www.swannysmodels.com/Alclad.html

It's in most good hobby shops.

As for online:
http://www.jjfpub.mb.ca/hobby_supplies.htm

Looks like they are in Canada, at least...

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Marlonius

Post by Marlonius »

Again, thanks. That info is just what I need. There are a couple of big hobbyshops in Edmonton here, so I'll check around.

-Marlon
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

At the last IPMS nats in Virginia Beach a few years ago, they had a display of the Breitling Orbiter balloon - the 'round the world job that had a mylar top to the balloon. The model had been hit with the Chrome Alclad, and I would have sworn it was real mylar! It was that shiny. Do it the way they say, and you'll get an amazing finish.

Kev
gunpowder

Post by gunpowder »

Does the Chrome, look as good as the original plating then? I hear that you have to use enamel black for the chrome. Can i use other thinners for cleaning ?

Thanks
HWR MKII

Post by HWR MKII »

The Alcad looks better than the plating. It has a thinner scale look and feel to it that the thick plating just doesnt have.
Stock trader "This is a stock exchange, theres no money tou can steal here."

Bane "Really?! Then why are you people here?
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Yeah, way better than the chrome plating. The car modelers will remove teh chrome plate and re-paint with Alclad.

The primer coat is very important for Alclad. It must be an even gloss - though you can play with anodizing effects if you apply over matte primer.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
gunpowder

Post by gunpowder »

What about cleaning up? Do i have to use their own brand ?
sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

gunpowder wrote:What about cleaning up? Do i have to use their own brand ?
I used plain old lacquer thinner with no problems.

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters