Thinning Putty and applications

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Cloudwalker

Thinning Putty and applications

Post by Cloudwalker »

Quick question: I have some of that evil Testors green putty, and I need to use it in some small tight places, but it's just too thick. I had read of a way to thin the putty out, but for the life of me I cannot find that thread. What works best. It was either alcohol or acetone, but I can't remember which.

Also, is it best to putty before or after primer?

Thanks.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I wouldn't think alchol would work, but then again I've never tried.

As far as when to putty? Before, during, after. I use primer to show me all the little dents I missed. So I putty before, spray, putty some more, spray, putty some more, spray (and repeat 'til insane).
Abolish Alliteration
HWR MKII

Post by HWR MKII »

use liquid model cement to thin green putty. Or PVC pipe cement 2 bucks for a 24 oz can of model glue. Be sure to get the OATEYS PVC stuff in the yellow can its liquid you dont want the gooey purple stuff. Either way as long as it has MEK in it your good.
Stock trader "This is a stock exchange, theres no money tou can steal here."

Bane "Really?! Then why are you people here?
Cloudwalker

Post by Cloudwalker »

Thanks for the advice. And guess what? I just found the thread on this that I was looking for. Don't know how I missed it before. If any moderators out there wish to lock and gas this thread, please feel free.