My choice for glue

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

REL

My choice for glue

Post by REL »

In case no one has mentioned these before, this is what I find works the best for acrylic and styrene. The applicator bottle is the key, you line up your piece on the model first, then use the needle tip and squeeze just a little on the joint, the glue will run under the piece and bond in about 10 seconds. It's not actually a glue but a bonder, the seam will stay forever.

Much better than superglue.

http://img467.imageshack.us/my.php?image=glue0bi.jpg
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I also use Ambroid ProWeld, I love the stuff. I use a similar applicator, a small syringe with a tip that looks like the tip on your bottle.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

I use a small paint brush for most solvent capilliary cements.
bobbyfett

Post by bobbyfett »

Where do you find those needle applicators? I could use one of those.
http://www.starwarsmodels.com <-- I'm always looking for content contributors. Want to lend a hand? PM or E-Mail me!
REL

Post by REL »

Any place that sells plexiglass, but not places like Home Depot etc. Plexiglass shops. You can also get the glue there.

Look under Acrylic supply in the phone book.
Owen E Oulton

Post by Owen E Oulton »

Looks like a standard methylene chloride cement, like Tenax or MBS or Weld-On's own #7 model cement. I got a gallon of methylene chloride from my local plastics supplier, cheap. One note about the applicator bottle - don't store your glue in it, always transfer it back to the metal can or a glass bottle. It will evaporate right through the soft plastic bottle, not only wasting the cement, but putting a toxic chemical into your environment, which can only be described as a BAD THING!.
...Only the dead dreams of a cold war kid...
REL

Post by REL »

Good advice Owen, I didn't know that.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

For some reason I find the best glue applicators at the model railroad shop. They always have more than regular model shops, I don't know why. I've found applicators like REL's, and the syringes I use, at Caboose hobbies in Denver.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Stingray

Post by Stingray »

I never see those syringes at generic hobby shops like Hobby Lobby. You have to get them at a shop that specializes in scale models.

-S
REL

Post by REL »

Stingray, if you're in OKC go out to Regal plastics on Reno near Morgan road. You can also buy styrene there in the 5 foot sheets, that'll last you awhile. That's where I got the glue and applicator bottles.
Stingray

Post by Stingray »

REL wrote:Stingray, if you're in OKC go out to Regal plastics on Reno near Morgan road. You can also buy styrene there in the 5 foot sheets, that'll last you awhile. That's where I got the glue and applicator bottles.
Actually, I'm in the Tulsa area, but I've found a local plastics shop that sells styrene in 5 foot sheets. I bought two, that should last me a good long time. I never thought to ask them about glue & aplicators. I need to do that next time I'm in the area.

-S
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

I've also had good luck with Ambroid Safe Weld. It's less toxic and doesn't run the wife out of the room. :thumbsup:
Never miss an opportunity to be a class act.